Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lenovo Posts: 180, Reputation: 14

Sep 23, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Want to propose
    Here's the little issue. Next month, my girfriend and I will have been going out for a year, but the month after that, I would like to propose to her. I just want to know, is it too soon? Should I wait longer? I love her a lot, but I just don't know if it would appear if we are going fast, I mean, is there like a rule of thumb to the timeline of dating someone before you "pop the question"?
    ConfusedandLost Posts: 93, Reputation: 26

Sep 23, 2007, 05:00 PM
    To be honest with you, I don't think that there is any "real" timeframe out there. It's based on how you feel and when you think the time is right. You will know... trust me you will know when. It's a feeling you will have never experienced before that will enter your life.

One question though... if you had to ask the above question... do you think it's that time? Just throwing that out there is all... I hope I was some sort of help...
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 23, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Until you can solve the paper route and witness protection best to wait. Have you two talked about a future together?
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Sep 23, 2007, 05:26 PM
    I know a couple who got married after 3 months. They are still married 20 some years later. I knew and dated my husband 10 years before we got married. We have been separated for 2 years now. I don't think it matters how long you wait, it's going to work or it's not.
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Sep 23, 2007, 05:32 PM
    There are MANY things to acknowledge before you think about marriage. Do you both have the same views on money, religion, relationships (the strength of them and any type of possibility of divorce), the raising of children, politics, and many many other things?
    Im in no way saying that you haven't thought about these things, but many many people have and they don't seem to understand how important they are.
    Maybe, if you have not, you can start bringing these things up in casual conversation, but not all at once to make her wonder. Unless you're cool with her like that then you can tell her and make a night of it.
    Also, look at the other smaller things that might come into play, both of your mental and emotional stability. Pay attention to what kind of relationship she has with her parents and siblings, because there is no doubt about it, what she has been taught as acceptable in her home as far as personal family relationships will be brought into your home with her also.
    I wish you good luck
    olenatichenor Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenovo
    Here's the little issue. Next month, my girfriend and I will have been going out for a year, but the month after that, I would like to propose to her. I just want to know, is it too soon? Should I wait longer? I love her a lot, but I just don't know if it would appear if we are going fast, I mean, is there like a rule of thumb to the timeline of dating someone before you "pop the question"?
    Are you living together?
    There are a lot of things that pop up you didn't see before once you move in together.
    Best would be to try it out for a bit.
    Hell, I love my boyfriend to death, but fight over a cat. Small things like that are very important
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Sep 25, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by olenatichenor
    are you living together?
    there are a lot of things that pop up you didn't see before once you move in together.
    best would be to try it out for a bit.
    Hell, i love my boyfriend to death, but fight over a cat. Small things like that are very important
    I disagree. When you say that you need to move in together to see if you'll wor out, that's showing that you're willing to let the pety things in your relationship make or break it.
    There will always be things in a relationship that you won't know, it's a quest of knowledge the entire way through, and your guy leaving the seat up/ leaving hair all over the sink, and all the other things, or the girl leaving hair on the side of the shower (hahaha) or leaving her tampom box in plain view... those types of things are just things you need to get over... and if you don't have a good enough idea whether your partner is a total slob, or terrible with money, you're not deep enough into a relationship to be moving in together in the first place.

Sep 26, 2007, 03:47 PM
    In response to olen, we have been living together for 6-7 months now.
    RaineAndrews Posts: 32, Reputation: 8

Sep 26, 2007, 04:06 PM
    My entire outlook changed when I married my wife. We'd been living together for over a year and shared a bank account well before the marriage. But marriage isn't either of those things, its about your responsibility. You are going to care for this person, and you HAVE to take care of them. It's a sense of duty and responsibility that I didn't really feel until the day we got married. Call me irresponsible, but now I have a child who is going to be born in less than 24 hours and life is no longer about me. When you can live your life making sure the ones you love are taken care of, that their needs and wants are taken care of first, that is when you know you are meant for each other. Sorry, I'm rambling about me :( But I think you can kind of get the picture. Don't marry her because you love her and want to be with her forever, marry her so she can be with you forever... okay... no more rambling...

Oct 25, 2007, 08:49 PM
    This is just an update for anyone who chooses to read. I just proposed to my girlfriend tonight, and she said yes. Why am telling you this? Because my family isn't what you would call "supportive". Just FYI, Thanks for all the advice people, great help!
    needofhelp Posts: 129, Reputation: 14

Oct 25, 2007, 08:55 PM
    Congratulations man. That's exciting. I wish you the best. Remember that it takes commitment, communication, and compromise. Lasting marriages and relationships, don't happen. Go celebrate!

Oct 25, 2007, 08:55 PM
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I Propose? [ 8 Answers ]

Seeing as no one here has replied to any of my previous questions (which I really hope someone is going to soon, please!) I would like to ask for advise and better yet, if someone can see into my future... I am thinking of proposing to this guy who I have mentioned in my earlier question. His dob...

When should I Propose? [ 18 Answers ]

Im 16 and wondering when is the right age to Propose!! Me and my girlfriend talk about getting married all the time but I want to know when will b the right time to actually pop the question?:confused:

Is he getting ready to propose [ 4 Answers ]

What are the signs he is about to propose marriage, or he is thinking about proposing?

View more questions Search