Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Valentenez Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 09:36 PM
    My girlfriend wants a break and I'm confused!
    So basically me and this girl were dating for about a year and a half. She lives next door and we hung out one summer with some of our friends and obviously liked each other. We started dating and everything was great. We saw each other almost every day and for a year and a half never had any major fight.

Then out of the blue she told me that she thinks we should take a break. She told me she still loved me and I told her I still loved her. She told me there wasn't any other guy and I think I actually believe that, but then again you never know. She said she doesn't want to lose me but she needed a couple of days where we didn't see each other.

We still talked for the first couple of days after we decided on the supossed break. She invited me over for the night and we had a really great night and she kept talking to me even though she said we couldn't see each other for a couple of days. Finally we had a little 5 minute talk and basically I told her that I was going to give her the time she needed alone and I wasn't going to have any contact with her until she was ready. After I left her house she texted me saying she was sorry and stuff and I said don't worry about me, I'm not mad, I'm just going to give you the time you asked for and call me when you have a decision. That was 2 nights ago and we've had no contact since. This wait is so agonizing and this is the worst thing I've ever had to deal with.

So what are your guys' view on this situation and how can I make this wait less agonizing?

Thanks.
    reckless Posts: 109, Reputation: 30

Jan 8, 2011, 09:46 PM

You are a brave man. You acted exactly as you should have, and I commend you for that. Continue respecting her wishes as you have. Remember that anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of love. Even when those days are up, you should still wait for her to make first contact.

As for the wait... go out and get physically active. It'll produce endorphins and make you feel better. I know it might be cold, but there's always the gym or an indoor pool. After you've done that, you could try writing down your experiences/how you feel just to let it out. Don't show anyone of course, just do it for yourself.

Overrall, you've done great for yourself. Keep it up. I'm sure you'll find something to do. In the worst case scenario, you can look for funny videos on YouTube.

Jan 8, 2011, 09:53 PM
    Comment on reckless's post
    Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it. I've actually been working out with what little equipment I have in my house. It did help but I'm exhausted lol. The thing that sucks is my friends are her friends and I'm determined for the no contact route.
    gara Posts: 117, Reputation: 26

Jan 9, 2011, 03:15 AM
    I'm sorry man I know it's very hard on you , keep doing that , unless she calls you , listen give it a limit of time , life three weeks maxiumo , if things didn't change , you have to talk to her asap.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 10:42 AM

So you are sitting there waiting for her to contact you, tell you she missed you, and take you back? That's pointless, and absurd, when you should be doing your thing, and waiting for no one. Explore other neighborhoods if you have to, and just because you have mutual friends you should still have your own. Go get some, why don't you!

You dated, it didn't work, you are back to the friend zone, so she dumped you. MOVE ON!
    dynocompe Posts: 331, Reputation: 56

Jan 10, 2011, 03:09 PM
    In about a month you could email her, or mail her a hand written note telling her, that she was right, you two needed a break. It was the best thing for you guys. Wish her well, tell her if she ever wants to catch up, she can call you. (Call not email)
    Then end the note.
    This will put you back on her mind, and wondering why you are enjoying your break so much and make her want you back.
    If she wants to meet up, do not talk about you guys unless she does, Be very very positive and happy. She will be drooling all over you again
    Good luck

Jan 10, 2011, 05:55 PM
    So new news on the situation. 3 days after I ended all contact with her I got a text from her saying "Already seeing other girls?" I was at first confused seeing as how I was at work and had only hung out with guy friends since the break. She said she was pretty sure there was another girl in my car that day, there wasn't, and I calmly told her that. Turns out our friend thought he had seen me driving with another girl and told her and I guess she freaked a little. So what does that mean?

I'm not sure if this is a major break up or anything, at this point I really can't say how serious this is. I think she's just scared and confused about a lot of things right now.

Does this change anything?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentenez View Post
    So new news on the situation. 3 days after I ended all contact with her I got a text from her saying "Already seeing other girls?" I was at first confused seeing as how I was at work and had only hung out with guy friends since the break. She said she was pretty sure there was another girl in my car that day, there wasn't, and I calmly told her that. Turns out our friend thought he had seen me driving with another girl and told her and I guess she freaked a little. So what does that mean?

I'm not sure if this is a major break up or anything, at this point I really can't say how serious this is. I think shes just scared and confused about a lot of things right now.

Does this change anything?
    She wants to be in control of the relationship and is scared you might break out on your own without waiting (like a personal slave) for her to make up her mind.

Did she say anything about the "break"?

I commend you on your cool. Continue NC.

Jan 10, 2011, 06:09 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    No neither of us have mentioned the break at all.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 06:11 PM

I agree with the person who said find some new friends. Hang out in places other than the usual ones, and avoid her so you can go back to NC.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 06:53 PM

It shows her friends are watching and reporting back to her. That and no contact brings curiosity, and you had better stop responding to her taking your temperature by texts also. Just sit back, and do your thing, and keep NC.

Don't forget she dumped YOU. The whole point is to keep you confused. Don't play that game.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend is confused, wants space, but does not want to break up. [ 10 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have been together since march of 2009. At one point, she was living here with me and we were together at the hip. She went home to stay with her parents back in may, and in June I made a big mistake and lied to her about a few things. We ended up getting back together 2 weeks...

Confused girlfriend of 5 years wants a break. [ 20 Answers ]

Hello! Thank you in advance for helping me with this problem. My girlfriend and I have been dating for 5 years, 1 together and a full 4 years of distance! I am 23 and she is 22. I try to come home once a month to visit her but I came home around the 4th of July and something was way off. She...

Girlfriend is confused and needs space but does not want to break up.I'm lost [ 13 Answers ]

Ok gang, so it was NYE and my girlfriend came over upset about the tanning salon being closed and got more upset by the fact that my friends bailed to go to the bars instead of the party we were going to. My gf's best friend was also driving up for the party and my girlfriend says she either wanted...

Girlfriend wants a break.says she is confused and. [ 19 Answers ]

I have been talink and haing out with my girlfriend for about 4 months but we never made it official until about 1 month ago. I am 22 she is 21. Some background info she broke up with her boyfriend last year who she dated for 5 years and it ended badly and she was very hurt by it and she told me...

Girlfriend needs break / confused [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, This is my first time in these forums... I was hoping some of you could shed some light on my situation.. I have been having some trouble with.. I won't get into all the details but I will give you a brief run down. My girlfriend and I were dating steady for close to 5 months... we...

View more questions Search