Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trish1313 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 06:34 AM
    Any healthy egg roll or wonton recipes out there??
    My kids love egg rolls and won tons, I know there kind of healthy, any recipes or suggestions how I can make them?? :confused:
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2006, 06:51 AM
    Weight Watchers has a healthy egg roll recipe:

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/healthy/w...e-eggrolls.htm

And here is one from Smart Solutions:

Healthy Egg Rolls

Ingredients:

Cooking spray
    2 Tbs. cornstarch
    1/2 cup water
    3 cups shredded Chinese cabbage
    2 medium carrots, shredded
    4 oz. shiitake mushrooms, diced
    1 celery stalk, diced
    1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
    2 Tbs. low-sodium tamari soy sauce
    2 Tbs. sliced green onions
    12 fat-free egg-roll wrappers

Preparation:

Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Dissolve one tablespoon of the cornstarch into 1/4 cup water and set aside. Lightly spray a wok or large sauté pan with cooking spray and heat over low heat. Combine cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, celery and ginger in the pan.

Cook for five to seven minute or until vegetables begin to wilt, stirring constantly to keep from burning. Stir in cornstarch mixture and soy sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens. Add green onions at very end to keep them crisp.

Dissolve the remaining tablespoon of cornstarch in 1/4 cup water. Brush onto egg-roll wrappers and fill with vegetables. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes or until brown.

* Note: Each egg roll contains less than 50 calories

And one last one:

Appetizer Egg Rolls

Ingredients:

1 package egg roll wrappers
    1 small package firm tofu
    1 cup mushrooms, diced
    1 cup snow peas, chopped
    1 cup carrots, shredded
    2 garlic cloves, diced
    1 cup cabbage, chopped
    1 cup red onion, minced
    ½ cup celery, minced
    4 tbsp. soy sauce
    1 tsp. ginger
    1 large egg, slightly beaten
    2 tbsp. peanut oil
    To Make:

In a large skillet, combine 1 tablespoon of peanut oil and the tofu. Heat the tofu for 12 minutes on high heat until it starts to brown. Drain the excess oil before adding any vegetables. You can buy frozen snow peas, if fresh are unavailable.

Chop up all of the vegetables. First, add the cabbage. This vegetable takes the longest to cook. It will need a little solo time in the frying pan with the tofu so that it can fully cook. After 10 minutes, add the mushrooms, snow peas, and carrots.

If you would rather use garlic powder than real garlic cloves, that is fine. Substitute 2 tablespoons of powder for the cloves. Add the garlic seasoning to the skillet. Now add the celery and red onion. Finally add the soy sauce. Stir around the mixture. Cook this on high for 15 minutes.

When the vegetables all tender, add the ginger. Stir once. Allow this to cook for an additional 10 minutes. Take the skillet off the burner.

Take one egg roll wrapper and place 1/3 cup of the cabbage mixture into it. Fold up the corner facing you onto the cabbage. Fold in the left and right corners toward the center and continue rolling the wrapper.

Use a little of the slightly beaten egg to hold the wrappers together. Do this for all of the egg roll wrappers. Place them into the skillet with the other tablespoon of peanut oil.

Fry the egg rolls on high until they are a golden brown color. Place them on a paper towel to soak up any excess oil. When you fry food always make sure you use a good vegetable oil.

Serve immediately
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2006, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Weight Watchers has a healthy egg roll recipe:

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/healthy/w...e-eggrolls.htm

And here is one from Smart Solutions:

Healthy Egg Rolls

Ingredients:

cooking spray
    2 Tbs. cornstarch
    1/2 cup water
    3 cups shredded Chinese cabbage
    2 medium carrots, shredded
    4 oz. shiitake mushrooms, diced
    1 celery stalk, diced
    1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
    2 Tbs. low-sodium tamari soy sauce
    2 Tbs. sliced green onions
    12 fat-free egg-roll wrappers

Preparation:

Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Dissolve one tablespoon of the cornstarch into 1/4 cup water and set aside. Lightly spray a wok or large saute pan with cooking spray and heat over low heat. Combine cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, celery and ginger in the pan.

Cook for five to seven minute or until vegetables begin to wilt, stirring constantly to keep from burning. Stir in cornstarch mixture and soy sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens. Add green onions at very end to keep them crisp.

Dissolve the remaining tablespoon of cornstarch in 1/4 cup water. Brush onto egg-roll wrappers and fill with vegetables. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes or until brown.

* Note: Each egg roll contains less than 50 calories

And one last one:

Appetizer Egg Rolls

Ingredients:

1 package egg roll wrappers
    1 small package firm tofu
    1 cup mushrooms, diced
    1 cup snow peas, chopped
    1 cup carrots, shredded
    2 garlic cloves, diced
    1 cup cabbage, chopped
    1 cup red onion, minced
    ˝ cup celery, minced
    4 tbsp. soy sauce
    1 tsp. ginger
    1 large egg, slightly beaten
    2 tbsp. peanut oil
    To Make:

In a large skillet, combine 1 tablespoon of peanut oil and the tofu. Heat the tofu for 12 minutes on high heat until it starts to brown. Drain the excess oil before adding any vegetables. You can buy frozen snow peas, if fresh are unavailable.

Chop up all of the vegetables. First, add the cabbage. This vegetable takes the longest to cook. It will need a little solo time in the frying pan with the tofu so that it can fully cook. After 10 minutes, add the mushrooms, snow peas, and carrots.

If you would rather use garlic powder than real garlic cloves, that is fine. Substitute 2 tablespoons of powder for the cloves. Add the garlic seasoning to the skillet. Now add the celery and red onion. Finally add the soy sauce. Stir around the mixture. Cook this on high for 15 minutes.

When the vegetables all tender, add the ginger. Stir once. Allow this to cook for an additional 10 minutes. Take the skillet off the burner.

Take one egg roll wrapper and place 1/3 cup of the cabbage mixture into it. Fold up the corner facing you onto the cabbage. Fold in the left and right corners toward the center and continue rolling the wrapper.

Use a little of the slightly beaten egg to hold the wrappers together. Do this for all of the egg roll wrappers. Place them into the skillet with the other tablespoon of peanut oil.

Fry the egg rolls on high until they are a golden brown color. Place them on a paper towel to soak up any excess oil. When you fry food always make sure you use a good vegetable oil.

Serve immediately
    WON TONS:
    4 dried black mushrooms
    1 leaf bok choy
    1 green onion
    1 sliced ginger
    1/2 pd ground pork
    1 tblsp low sodium soy sauce
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1 tsp sugar
    1 egg lightly beaten
    3 cups peanut oil (much healthier then veg.oil)
    48 wonton wrappers
    Water as needed

Wipe off mushromms, soak in warm water till soft, 20-30 min'squeeze out water and chop, wash and shread the bok choy, dice green onion, mince ginger till you have 1/2 tsp. In bowl combine ground pork, sesame oil, sugar . Heat oil to 375, prepare wontons, first wet with water, lay out, place a tsp of filling in middle, fold up wonton so it resembles a nurses cap. Wet edges to seal. Add wontons to oil a few at a time, deep fry in batches till golden brown, turning to brown evenly. Drain on metal rack or paper towels, well.

Egg Rolls:

1 pkg egg roll wrappers
    Filling:
    1 pd fresh pork/chicken,
    1 med. Onion sliced,
    2 stalks celery cut thin/diagionally
    1/2 pd fresh mushrooms, sliced thinly 1" lenghtwise
    2 green onions, diced
    1 pd fresh bean sprouts
    6 water chestnuts sliced
    1/2 pd nappa cabbage or use bagged colelaw sliced thnly:cool:
    Pork seasoning:
    1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
    1 tsp oyster sauce
    Less then 1 tsp cornstarch
    Gravy:
    4 tblsp water
    1 tblsp cornstarch
    1/2 tsp soy sauce Low sod.
    2 tsp oyster sauce
    2 tblsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tsp cold water
    2 tblsp peanut oil for stir frying
    2-4 cups peanut oil for deep frying

Mix seasonings ingred. Together, cut pork into thin strips, add the seasonings and marinate the pork for 15 minutes. While pork is marinating, prepare veggies and gravy mixture. Heat pan or wok over medium high to high heat. Add the oil for stir frying, when oil is ready, add celery, and onion and stir fry. Taste add sugar or low salt if desired. Remove from the wok, add pork aaato the wok and cool till well done, place cover on pan/wok. Remove. Clean pan and stir fry separately the mushrooms, water chestnuts, and bean sproats. Check the seasonings while stir frying and as as desired, low salt/sugar. Stir friy the cabbage, covering and cooking for 1 minute, combine all ingredients in wok, drain juice from vegetables, as necessary, add the gravy, pushing the veggies up against sides to form a well in the middle for gravy, stir to thicken, add green onion. Set the filling aside and allow to cool, before wrapping. AWrapping, mix cornstarch and water, slowly adding water to cornstarch till you have a glue which will be used to seal wraps. Lay wraps out with short side directly in front of you, place 1 tbls filling in middle, spreading out but not too close to edges. Place some of the cornstarch glue along edge fold over making sure sides overlap, press firnly down, making sure well sealed. Deep frying: when oil is ready, slide each egg roll into pan one at a time, deep fry ill golden brown, then drain, well

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stinky Rotten Egg Hot Water [ 18 Answers ]

I know several questions have been posted on this topic, but here is my situation and I am hoping someone will have a few words of wisdom. My home is 2 yrs old and I am on well water-very hard well water. I had no problems with taste, smell etc. except the hard water spots until now. In Feb....

Roll-up Cigarettes [ 9 Answers ]

I have been smoking roll-ups for about three years now. I find that I don't have any breathing problems or heart problems so I was wondering if manufactured cigarettes have something in them that make you ill, compared to roll-ups which are just tobacco and paper.

Looking for cabbage recipes. [ 6 Answers ]

It's fall and we have an abundance of cabbage, but not a surplus of recipes. Would appreciate any family favorites that you might have. Especially from ancestors. We already make stuffed cabbage and pierogies. Anyone have something special that they would care to share? Thanks. Dave.

Rotten-egg / sewage smell in home [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've been experiencing a rotten-egg / sewage smell in my home. It occurs mainly in the summertime but it is not constant. The smell seems to be stirred up by two simultaneous events: (1) running water down the kitchen sink, and (2) the central air-conditioning kicking on. It is...

View more questions Search