Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MamaJo88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 12:36 PM
    Small Dog Needs To Gain Weight
    Hi,
    I have a Jack Russell / Chihuahua mix and he is almost a year old (Doodle). The problem is that he won't eat unless I make him eat. Like I feed him from a spoon or I hand feed him. He is really skinny so I try to make him eat. We've had him for about 4 months now, and he came from a person who had another puppy who was domineering. Maybe he's scared to eat or maybe eating isn't on his main priority list. But I need to know what I can do to make him gain weight. His ribs poke out and his backbone is very noticeable. Is there any sort of food I can feed him that will put some pounds on him? Are there any techniques that I can use to make him want to eat? Please someone help me... I don't want him to be unhealthy anymore. Thanks so much!
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Oct 21, 2006, 12:43 PM
    What are you feeding? What is his medical history as far as deworming? Other dogs in household now? Is he neutered? Has he been this skinny since you got him?
    Thanks,D
    MamaJo88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 01:22 PM
    Hi,
    He has no worms because we took him to the vet when we got him- he's had all of his shots and everything. We have no other animals- he's our only one. He's been skinny ever since we got him. At first we thought it was worms that was making him skinny so when we got him dewormed we thought that he would gain some weight. But about 2 months after he went to the vet, and after having checkups, he is still skinny. I started him out on those packets of food with chuncks in them, Ol Roy I believe is the name brand. Then I switched to Purina packets because he wasn't really interested in the other kind. Then I figured he might like dry food better, so I tried that. Now I am feeding him canned Old Roy food and he eats it, but only when I feed it to him with a spoon. I also heard that feeding him an egg mixed in with dry dog food is good. But I don't think it's the type of food- because he ate all the others but I had to physically feed it to him and encourage him to eat. He is neutered, also. Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2006, 01:36 PM
    Some experts say a dog will never harm itself by refusing to eat. I won't go quite to that extreme. What has the vet said about his weight? Make sure the vet rechecks him for worms every time you visit. It is very unusual for a healthy dog not to eat enough to at least only have the ribs show a little. I would move up to a meat based concentrated chow. If you like shopping at Wal-Mart, the Iams they carry would be as good as anything. He will make more efficient use of it. With a small dog, cost can't make that much difference. Some of you larger pet stores and feed barn may carry house brands of the meat based, concentrated chows. Never risk a dog's health on an untested home recipe. Modern dog chows are all tested to make sure they are a complete and balanced diet. Iams, etc. are no better for a dog than the Old Roy, it is just that if he eats the same amount, it will do him more good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How Can I Gain Weight [ 2 Answers ]

How can I gain 10- 20 pounds within the next 2 weeks can someone help me are there any pills or anything I can do to gain weight

I need my dog to gain weight [ 14 Answers ]

Hello I was just wondering I have a dog is an american pitbull terrier but he doesn't gain weight I already used redcell to see if that would help but it doesn't I mean he does gain weight but his body doesn't change he looks the same but heavier so I would like to know if any one knows how to make...

I need to gain weight [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 kids and I'm 5"tall and weight no more than 85 lbs.. I love food and I eat a lot.I'm not trying to lose weight cause I don't like to look skinny.. I can never gain weight and when I do I lose them after a while.. I've gain a lot of weight when I was pregnant but I lost it after I had the...

Weight Gain! [ 3 Answers ]

This question is also under Other (Health & Wellness): OK, let's see. I'm 5'10", 100 lbs, and have a very hyper metabolism. I'm 28 and have tried things like protein shakes/mixes with other meals, milk, bananas, etc. People tell me a lot, but I am getting no results. Does someone out there...

Weight Gain! [ 1 Answers ]

OK, let's see. I'm 5'10", 100 lbs, and have a very hyper metabolism. I'm 28 and have tried things like protein shakes/mixes with other meals, milk, bananas, etc. People tell me a lot, but I am getting no results. Does someone out there know of something that really can put weight on this body...

View more questions Search