Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    PamB227's Avatar
    PamB227 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 14, 2014, 01:49 PM
    Want to add someone to the deed of my townhouse in Harford County, Maryland.
    Want to add someone to the deed of my townhouse in Harford County, Maryland. I have a 30-year mortgage, which I've only paid 2 years of so far (settled on the house 7/6/2012). What do I do? What are the fees?
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jul 14, 2014, 01:55 PM
    Who are you adding? Unless its spouse, then you will probably need to execute a deed conveying them a share of the property. This will require approval from your mortgage lender.
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

    Jul 14, 2014, 06:30 PM
    I also need to ask WHY?

    (absent any legal contract to the contrary) Once their name is on the deed, they become equal owners and entitled to 1/2 the value of the house (even if you hold the mortgage and pay 100% of it)... which they could force a sale on at any point. ( or if they get in serious legal or tax trouble as its an asset of theirs) And once can't take them off without them agreeing to it.

    A lot of people live to reget adding people to a property they own....even their own children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maryland eviction prince george county [ 3 Answers ]

I allowed a desperate friend to move into a room in a house I am renovating. I stupidly gave him a lease for a 1 bedroom unit so that he could turn on utilities, etc. and charged him room rent of $450 by verbal agreement. After a couple of months, he also moved and stored all the rest of his things...

Putting another name on a deed in Maryland? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm going to be married soon and want to add my to be husband name on my deed. Can that be done if so how? Thanks

Will you go to jail for violation of probation in howrd county Maryland? [ 1 Answers ]

The person that I am asking about got his 3rd dui in November 2010 (yea what an idiot) about 2 1/2 weeks prior to getting off probation for his second dui. After getting his 3rd dui, he was released from his probation as scheduled in November 2010. He went to court about a week ago for this 3rd...

Relinquishing Parental/Educational Rights in the State of Maryland (Baltimore COunty) [ 3 Answers ]

Thank you for your time. Please advice me of the steps to take to obtain educational rights for my son's friend, who is a Junior in High School. His mother is unable to care for him and is willing to take the appropriate steps to enroll her son in school, as he lives with me.

Add spouse to deed with quitclaim deed [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I bought a lot from my parents but my dad died prior to transferring our names to the deed. This was subsequently placed on the back burner and overlooked for a couple of years until I noticed that the tax bills had my parents name on it. I contacted my mother and she signed a...

View more questions Search