Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    pushedout's Avatar
    pushedout Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 21, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Real estate contract
    I am in the process of selling my home. I need to know if a buyer needs to have an amount of money put in the contract as a "down payment" to the seller. You know in case the sale doesn't go through then the seller gets that money.
    LisaB4657's Avatar
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534

    Feb 21, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Yes, there should be some kind of earnest money deposit to cover the seller in the event the buyer defaults. A common amount is 5 to 10% of the purchase price.

    If you are selling your home without a realtor then I strongly recommend that you get yourself a real estate attorney to handle this for you. They will prepare and negotiate the contract as well as handling the closing for you. It should not be expensive (approx. $500 to $1500 depending on your location) and you will know that someone is looking out for your interests.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real estate under contract - problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone - I hope someone can help me here. My problem is this: My husband and I made an offer on a triple-wide, it was accepted by the buyer. We went to get the loan and were going to get an 80/20 conventional because we don't have much to put down. Everything was great until the...

Real Estate Contract signed under duress [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I were considering purchasing a home but decided against it due to discovering some problems with the wastewater disposal system. A bit of a legal "dogfight" ensued after we tried to get released from the contract but the matter has finally been resolved. As a piece of sidebar...

Real Estate [ 3 Answers ]

Does any one here know about real estate. I'm wondering which aspect of the whole career is best as in buying a house fixing it up and selling or going through companies. Or if they are two totally different things in all. Just any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Real Estate [ 7 Answers ]

We Are Selling Our Home Which Has Two Separate Properties. The People Who Want To Buy Both Properties Put In A Contract. Now They Wish To Divide To Two Contracts One For Each Property. Please Note That Both Properties Are Separately Addressed And Separately Deeded. If We Agree To This Are They...

Real Estate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: How do I find out whether a real estate broker is licensed?

View more questions Search