Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    earl237's Avatar
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57
    Senior Member

    Nov 17, 2016, 12:42 PM
    Investing in Apartment Buildings
    I was researching about investing in apartment buildings and I was wondering if there is any way to avoid renting to tenants who are on welfare. Legal answers only please, my grandfather and friend's father had very negative experiences renting to people on welfare so I don't want to hear any moralizing about discriminating against poor people.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,328, Reputation: 10855

    Nov 17, 2016, 01:06 PM
    Really simple Earl, invest in high end apartment buildings! :D
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Nov 17, 2016, 02:27 PM
    There are federal laws about discrimination when renting, and there are additional state laws.
    I studied them in the real estate agent course.
    I won't reinvent the wheel here. You can find them. It would take an hour of typing.

    Renting to anyone can be not only problematic, but there often isn't a nice neat law to cover the dispute, and you end up in court, or lose just by not being paid. Paying can't be forced; only eviction can, and that can happen weeks after a tenant stopped paying. Retaliation isn't allowed either.

    Sure you want to own apartment buildings? The recession and bank clampdown on mortgages was great for landlords, but that is showing signs of being over, and there could be a glut.

    My advice: buy a building nice enough to either rent or turn into condos.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Nov 17, 2016, 02:32 PM
    First, that is not how this site works. When you post a question you open yourself up for any comment as long as it doesn't violate our rules. You DO NOT dictate who can respond or how they respond.

    That being said you are allowed to do a credit and background check of prospective tenants. If they have poor credit or previous landlords have had bad experiences, then you can reject them as tenants. You will have to provide justification if sued.

    But the best answer is to invest in higher end buildings that are out of the market for lower income renters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the effects of breathing in meth fumes in apartment buildings [ 3 Answers ]

I live above someone who uses drugs. Im not sure if its meth or crack. I only know that I have epilepsy and each time I smell the fumes I have some serious effects from it. How do I know if this is detrimental to my health or temporary or a concern at all

Can the apartment replace a lease signed by tenant but not by the apartment office? [ 24 Answers ]

The apartment would like to replace the original lease signed by me, but not by them. Are they allowed to replace a lease if it is only signed by the tenant?

Is investing money in mutual fund better than investing any other investment ? [ 0 Answers ]

Mutual fund is growing in india sloly but steadly so do other investment but for a good return on investment with only 500,000 rupees in hand which are the available options for the investment.

CPVC vs. PPR plumbing, which one is better for high rise apartment buildings? [ 0 Answers ]

We are into high rise apartment building construction and sales business. Can anyone suggest which one among PPR and CPVC plumbing is better for high rise residential apartment buildings? Saroj Prasad PANERU from Nepal

I left apartment and turned in apartment's keys and gave no 30 day notice. [ 3 Answers ]

Why did the landlord charged me the monthly month of rent and still some more after I left apartment 8 days after I had paid 1 months rent and told them I could not stay there anymore due to family emergency and unemployment reasons. I gave them the keys so they should not charge me for the 8 days...

View more questions Search