Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hamtaro92's Avatar
    hamtaro92 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #1

    Apr 10, 2015, 04:10 AM
    House numbers
    Anyone know of a website that helps with getting directions(for walking) to house numbers? I tried Google maps but they just give me the name of the street.
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member
     
    #2

    Apr 10, 2015, 06:01 AM
    Any of the map sites will do that. When you ask for directions you need o click an icon to indicate if you are walking, driving or bicycling.

    Addresses are always (any I have ever seen anyway) sequential with even on one side of the street and odd on the other side.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,240, Reputation: 10853
    Expert
     
    #3

    Apr 10, 2015, 06:53 AM
    My Google map shows the exact address I punch into it. What region of the world are you in?
    hamtaro92's Avatar
    hamtaro92 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #4

    Apr 13, 2015, 04:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    My Google map shows the exact address I punch into it. What region of the world are you in?
    Ontario, Canada. I tried Google maps for directions to 13 "X" Way, it just tells me to turn right on x way. Okay, I'm there, now what? I don't know what side it's on(the even numbered and odd houses are on the same side).
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,240, Reputation: 10853
    Expert
     
    #5

    Apr 13, 2015, 05:58 AM
    Follow directions and go to the one with 13 on it. Technology only gets you so far, you have to actually be there and see it in person to "get there".
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,299, Reputation: 5645
    Expert
     
    #6

    Apr 13, 2015, 06:00 AM
    You also have to input the address you are coming from.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692
    Expert
     
    #7

    Apr 13, 2015, 07:11 AM
    GPS on street addresses can be off a few houses, And so much depends on how good the information was that was entered. But Google has an excellent program, I use it in China all the time.
    Cat1864's Avatar
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert
     
    #8

    Apr 13, 2015, 07:21 AM
    Are you certain you are inputting the correct house number?
    hamtaro92's Avatar
    hamtaro92 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #9

    Apr 13, 2015, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Are you certain you are inputting the correct house number?
    Yes. I am told to deliver to houses 1-20 on x way. Not to be snarky, but 13 is a number between 1 and 20.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,240, Reputation: 10853
    Expert
     
    #10

    Apr 13, 2015, 08:22 PM
    Lets clarify, have you ever been to this street in person? It would seem a self evident thing to figure out which house is which once you get there, and if in doubt, knock and ask a neighbor or two.

    I mean that's what I have done with good results.
    hamtaro92's Avatar
    hamtaro92 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #11

    Apr 14, 2015, 03:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Lets clarify, have you ever been to this street in person? It would seem a self evident thing to figure out which house is which once you get there, and if in doubt, knock and ask a neighbor or two.

    I mean that's what I have done with good results.
    I've been to this street before. I had a hard time finding all the houses I needed to find. I was seriously hoping to find a way to keep my pride intact and skip the neighbour-asking.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,240, Reputation: 10853
    Expert
     
    #12

    Apr 14, 2015, 04:06 AM
    There is no shame in asking for directions my friend, when in a confusing situation. The shame would be in not asking and not being able to make your delivery. After getting proper directions then this problem goes away and you will know which house is which.

    Pride is not a good thing to have when it stops you from learning, don't you agree?
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674
    Expert
     
    #13

    Apr 14, 2015, 04:11 AM
    Living in Ontario all my life, and partially in one of the biggest cities, Toronto, I find it odd that you have difficulty finding street numbers. The numbering system of houses has not changed in many years, even with new sub divisions be added constantly.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,240, Reputation: 10853
    Expert
     
    #14

    Apr 14, 2015, 04:49 AM
    I delivered papers in my youth and some neighborhoods can be confusing but I used a cheat sheet (no computers back then, LOL!) but you become familiar with the lay of the land after experiencing it a few times.

    Hmm, just realized a couple of MY neighbors have no visible numbers on their houses... but have small ones on the mailboxes by the front door.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man
     
    #15

    Apr 14, 2015, 06:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamtaro92 View Post
    I've been to this street before. I had a hard time finding all the houses I needed to find.
    This makes little sense to me either. Mapping software, GPS units, etc will take you to the nearest cross street to the address you are looking for. Then tell you to turn right or left and you have reached your destination. Most municipalities have laws that require homeowners to display the house number prominently. In my neighborhood, the local American Legion post will paint the house numbers on the curb. This is done for safety reasons so local police and fire depts can find an address. It can be a matter of life or death.

    As someone else noted, house numbers are generally in order, usually with alternating odd and even. So once you find one house it should be pretty easy to determine which is which.

    So I really find it hard to believe that once you find the block the address is on, that you can't find the exact house.
    hamtaro92's Avatar
    hamtaro92 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #16

    Apr 16, 2015, 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    This makes little sense to me either. Mapping software, GPS units, etc will take you to the nearest cross street to the address you are looking for. Then tell you to turn right or left and you have reached your destination. Most municipalities have laws that require homeowners to display the house number prominently. In my neighborhood, the local American Legion post will paint the house numbers on the curb. This is done for safety reasons so local police and fire depts can find an address. It can be a matter of life or death.

    As someone else noted, house numbers are generally in order, usually with alternating odd and even. So once you find one house it should be pretty easy to determine which is which.

    So I really find it hard to believe that once you find the block the address is on, that you can't find the exact house.
    I asked a neighbour where a certain house is, he said something like "Go down the hill." So I go down the hill and... I cannot see it. So either I need someone to literally walk me to a house, because I have a horrible sense of direction or I need to plan better. I made a list of houses but elimination is not working. I don't know what to do.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man
     
    #17

    Apr 17, 2015, 05:23 AM
    So you are telling me that house numbers are not displayed on each house? I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. Like I said, there are generally laws requiring that house numbers be displayed. How does the fire department find a house, or the police?
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,240, Reputation: 10853
    Expert
     
    #18

    Apr 17, 2015, 06:14 AM
    It may be as simple as being in another country, a more rural setting, or a mistake on behalf of whomever made the delivery order.

    At this point I would go back, and verify this mysterious address exists with your dispatcher, and make sure I wasn't chasing a ghost, or error. In addition ask more than one neighbor just in case the first one was not as knowledgeable as they were trying to be helpful.
    hamtaro92's Avatar
    hamtaro92 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #19

    Apr 17, 2015, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    So you are telling me that house numbers are not displayed on each house? I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. Like I said, there are generally laws requiring that house numbers be displayed. How does the fire department find a house, or the police?
    It's not so much the house number not being displayed as much as I can't find the house. That said, I've noticed that some of the numbers have faded and a number blended in with the house color. For me, the hardest houses to find are always the last ones.

    How do I draw up a cheat sheet?
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,240, Reputation: 10853
    Expert
     
    #20

    Apr 17, 2015, 07:27 PM
    A hand drawn map with your own notes and observations? It's a simple thing. Simply write down what you know on your own map... a guide, of what you know of this neighborhood.

    What is it you deliver that you cannot get clarification and help from a dispatcher?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

Excel - Input numbers in sheet1a1 (Using several numbers separately) going to separat [ 2 Answers ]

I want to be able to put over 100 different numbers (not at the same time) all on sheet1 A1 to direct to there own sheet. Each individual number will go to a different sheet(only 1 number per sheet) Please help

I have a arce minilaptop some of the letter keys has numbers how to avoid numbers [ 1 Answers ]

On my keyboard the letters U I O P J K AND L HAS NUMBERS HOW TO MAKE LETTERS ONLY

Combination of numbers out of the given numeric numbers [ 1 Answers ]

I have the numeric numbers 0 to 9. What is the probability of combination of three digit numbers and what are they?

Find all three numbers when geometric mean of first two numbers is 9. [ 0 Answers ]

The arithmetic mean and geometric mean of three numbers are 34 and 18 respectively .find all three numbers when geometric mean of first two numbers is 9.

Letters are numbers and num lock off no numbers [ 2 Answers ]

I cannot get my hp pavilion notebook to respond, it started all of a sudden. When my num lock is on my letters on the keyboard turn into numbers... I=5 and so forth. Now when my num lock is off my keyboard works fine but I cannot use the number pad. I tried the fn key with almost every key on the...


View more questions Search