Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    cabot's Avatar
    cabot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 2, 2019, 07:55 PM
    Small claims court
    hello in 1996 I moved out of an apartment prior to the new months rent the landlord took me to small claims court not sending the paperwork to my new address I was unaware of the court date and had a judgement placed on me for one months rent. Then several months later I got a notice in the mail to go to court for the rent that one since they had a judgement came to me. I went to court and ended up signing an agreement and then made some payments. After a few payments I found my rent book and saw I was acctualy pd to date the unit was rented to another for the same month they got me to pay for by not sending the court papers to me in the first place. I spoke to one of the owners and gave him a copy of the rent book he said he would take care of it. That was 1997. I never heard anymore till this year when they took me back to court for a review. I looked at the rent book more closely and noticed I didn't get my security back either l=allowing them to profit 1000.00s is there a way to rectify this.
    ma0641's Avatar
    ma0641 Posts: 15,681, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

    Feb 3, 2019, 10:21 AM
    After 22 years they(?) took you back to court for a review of what?
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,328, Reputation: 10855

    Feb 3, 2019, 10:33 AM
    I would file a counterclaim, appear in court with all the evidence I could find to win my case. Are you sure this is a court case, and not just a hearing before a mediator.

    Regardless show up and present your side. Review your lease, have receipts, and question theirs, as how could you know the place was rented, and did you give proper NOTICE of your intent to move?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small claims court [ 2 Answers ]

When do I have to give the other party a copy that they are being sued in court

Friend claims I owe him money and is taking it to small claims court [ 2 Answers ]

I was on holiday with a friend who booked and paid for a trip. When we got home he asked me for the money for this trip. He never told me how much it cost or that he would want me to contribute until afterwards. I have told him that he should have asked first and I wouldn't have gone as I cannot...

Small Claims Court [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how I can take my Step-daughter to Small Claims court in order to retrieve my money. She owes me $8,310 dollars. She signed a contract for part of it. She moved to Florida. In other words she robbed me, What can I do? Does Small Claims Court handle these matters in the county one...

Small claims court [ 11 Answers ]

Me (Shirley) and my aunt (Margaret) had a cell phone account together but had separate phones, and also she was the primary account holder, I CXL my phone service early, so I had to pay the early cancelation fee, which I paid, now the phone service is calling my aunt saying that bill was not paid,...

View more questions Search