Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockshaper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 06:02 PM
    Quiet Title
    Several years ago, I took possession of my father's property in Idaho under a Living Trust. When I looked into selling the property, I had a title search done. It turns out that several owners previous to my father had sold the property with only the husbands signature on the deed. The title company said that the deed was listed as the husband or the wife as legal owners. Unfortunately, Idaho is a common law state which means that both signatures were needed to clear the title. I can not locate the individual or any heirs, nobody ever heard of these people in this town. The wife may not have even been alive when the property changed hands. The title company said that I may have to quiet the title. I live in Washington, do I need to hire an Idaho lawyer or can I hire a Washington lawyer? What is the range of costs associated with an action of this manner? :confused:
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 8, 2007, 06:16 PM
    You're going to need an Idaho real estate attorney for this. Call a few and see if they will give you a free phone consultation. If not then your best bet is to schedule free consultations with a few attorneys, all for the same day, and then take a trip for the day to meet with them. They should be able to tell you what the approximate legal fee will be during the consultation.

Good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 8, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Yes as Lisa noted, they will have to file and do this in court in the county where the property is located, and the attorney will have to be a member of the bar of that state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get/use Quiet Title [ 6 Answers ]

• I bought a property from the bank and they actually sold me the "right to collect/foreclose". (They solved their problem) • The previous owners never made a payment and did not pay the taxes. I paid their taxes. •When I tried to sell the property I found that although I had a Quick Claim...

What is a quiet title in AR [ 1 Answers ]

What is a quiet title in AR.

Quiet Title [ 1 Answers ]

Under what circumstances would you purchase real estate with only a Quiet Title? I mean how credible is Quiet Title?

Quiet Title A marketable title? [ 2 Answers ]

My mother and father have passed away and we, the heirs, are trying to sell the property to settle the estate. My father paid cash for this house 18 years ago and evidently obtained a quit claim to the property. The research to the property is moving at a snail's pace as there have been several...

Filing a quiet title action [ 10 Answers ]

I am so tired of dealing with attorney's out of state, speficially in Florida and it has cost me $1000's I would like to know from someone if I can do a quiet title action, pro-se and what it would take. It isn't very involved because my father's wife has recently passed away and there are no other...

View more questions Search