Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lockraylyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Landlord rights in breach of lease
    Under Georgia law, may a landlord charge a tenant that breaches the lease agreement
    Within the first three months of the agreement, the full year's rental price or the offset
    Amount of whenever a new tenant is procured?
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 03:52 PM
    There should be a clause in the lease regarding early termination. It could state either the party gives 30 days written notice and would have to pay a termination fee of equal to one months rent and the person would lose the security deposit. Or it could state that the full amount is due until the property is re-leased. I would just look at the document signed.
    There is typically only a 72 hour "change of mind" clause. So three months - the lease is in full effect.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2007, 04:48 PM
    As a property owner in Gerogia if you have a lease you are bound by the terms of that lease, there is no early out. You can be and will be changed for the full amount of the lease, or to the ponit they rent the property.

So if you give notice and it takes them three months to get it rented, you will owe for three moneys.

And sorry no, there is also no 72 hour clause in any of the leases, once signed the and money given ( or other action to show you are accepting the lease) it is final. I own and rent property in three states and have never heard of that. The 3 day for in home sales, but does not apply to rental property
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Well, maybe it was the company I worked for in Georgia that had that. I worked in property management there - and the leases we used did have a 72 hour clause. Like I said, it may have just been the company I worked for.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 17, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat
    Well, maybe it was the company I worked for in Georgia that had that. I worked in property management there - and the leases we used did have a 72 hour clause. Like I said, it may have just been the company I worked for.
    There is a three day (72 hour) right of recission as part of the Fair Credit Act. But it applies to credit contracts signed for the purchase of some form of property. However, some companies have written that clause into their contracts on their own, even though not required to.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Hello:

This is for the what it's worth department.

In my state back in the 70's, door to door salesmen were everywhere. They were good too. They sold encyclopedias, siding, magazines... They would do this right in your own living room too, and they wouldn't leave unless they got a deal. Lots of older folks felt intimidated and went along... But, they really didn't want the encyclopedias; they wanted to get rid of the salesman.

In response to the abuses, the legislature passed the three day right of rescission law. It was aimed at those sales that occurred in the home. It was presumed that people who left their home to travel to, say, a car dealership, were not intimidated at all being in the dealers showroom where THEY could walk out, so the law did NOT extend to them.

That's as it should be.

excon
    DC Bob Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 12:58 PM
    ScottGem is right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would My Landlord Buy Out My lease? [ 5 Answers ]

We have 6 more years on an office lease in a 30 office office park that is in the process of being sold. The property will be torn down and replaced with larger more upscale office buildings. We have been offered the opportunity to break our lease but the moving costs will be a minimum of...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

What happens when landlord doesn't sign lease? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! I'm in Austin, Texas. Moved into an apartment 6 weeks ago. Went through the lease with the agent, initialed and signed everything. I asked for a copy of the lease, and was told that the manager needs to sign it, and I should get it a copy in a few days. Fast forward... it's 6 weeks...

Landlord not following his own LEASE! [ 3 Answers ]

I got the other issues fixed but it states in my lease, that the landlord retains the right to show the house the last month of our lease. Our lease is not up until JUNE 1st. He first called and said he wanted to show the house to "someone", I told him what the lease stated. So then he left a...

Landlord wants to break lease NY [ 1 Answers ]

I have been slightly behind on my rent but have been giving my landlord some every week. Last week I drew up a plan to show him how much money I could give him for the next 3 months - showing him I intend to be paid up to date by April (with the help of my tax check). He told me that he'd have to...

View more questions Search