Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dval Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 04:29 PM
    Landlord accepts keys and one day rent check with 1 week notice to move out then.
    My rent was raised a full 10% last September and I could no longer afford
    To pay such high rent and was scared it would be done again this year so I
    Called the property manager and told her I would be leaving unless she
    Would call the owner and let them know I am a single parent struggling as
    It is to pay the already high rent, The property manager told me No she
    Will not do that because the landlord knows there is a risk that the
    Tenant may move out when they raise the rent. She was fired from the
    Property management and is no longer working there. I was having a hard
    Time with the new 10% increase this year so I began searching for a place
    To live and found one but I only had time to give a week notice since the
    New place would be available right away and I could afford it, had I given
    A 30 day chances are the opportunity to move into a more affordable place
    Would be lost, and continuing to pay 1,375 was putting me in greater
    Hardship. They accepted my $45.00 for one day of rent for the month of
    April, I have a receipt for that and then we did a walk through, they
    Accepted the keys and I had no further access to the place since I was out
    And they behaved as though I was out. I left the place immaculate, even
    Though they gave it to me filthy when I had moved into it, that info is on
    The walk through paper when I went into it, so I left it way nicer than
    They gave it to me. They credited me 75.00 for the carpet cleaning, but
    Not for cleaning when I moved in and when I left. I got a notice in the
    Mail saying thank-you for leaving the place in such a clean condition but
    We are keeping your deposit for rent of 45.83 per day for 24 days, balance
    Due owner 24.92. I was told by a friend that it is illegal to keep deposit
    In lieu of rent and since they accepted my keys and walk through and check
    For the one day of that month, it is like acceptance of my one week
    Written notice to them.

Please let me know what I can do about it, is it legal for them to accept the keys and my final check. Then keep the deposit for rent when I had no further access to the property.

I am in California.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 04:50 PM
    I would assume your rental agreement stated you had to give a 30 day notice, they are under no obligation to agree to less, but you basically told them when you were leaving, and they did the final inspection when you decided to leave with you. Unless you had a signed agreement that this was being done and the remainder of the 30 day notice was waived, then yes of course you owe the balnace of your legal notice that would be required by your rental agreement.

When my tennants get ready to leave of course you get the keys back, If they moved someone else in before this date, that would be the only thing that would effect it.
    This seems very reasonable to me as a landlord.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Apr 26, 2007, 06:30 AM
    If the landlord was able to rent the apartment right away, then your deposit might have been returned. Since he had your signed lease, and the apartment did not rent before the end of your lease, he had the right to use your security deposit to pay the remaining days of your lease agreement. The landlord is in the right.

Apr 26, 2007, 10:35 AM
    My written notice was accepted in person and so was my check that I got a receipt from them for for the due rent in April. They went trough with walk trough and got the keys. That would mean they are in acceptance by action. I also was not told that I could have the place for another 24 days because they would eventually come back and charge me for it. I had no access to it, they never said no we will do the walk through after 30 days and then you can turn in the keys. They accepted the dead line and treated it as such, I would have had more time to keep my stuff there if I was actually in possession. I believe they messed up by doing it that way, remember this was the property management and I am asuming they made a mistake by the obvious actions and the homeowner didn't like it too much after the fact, Where can I find actual law information regarding this?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 26, 2007, 01:13 PM
    I'm really sorry but I'm going to have to tell you something that you don't want to hear.

You don't have a case.

I can appreciate the argument that you're making but it won't be accepted by a court. The fact that the landlord "accepted" your notice and rent check does not imply that they agreed to your early termination and gave up their rights. All they did was accept possession of the property and a partial payment of rent. The friend who gave you your information was completely wrong.

If you had a written lease then you are responsible for the rent until the end of the term of that lease or until a new tenant moves in, whichever is earlier. If you didn't have a written lease then you were a month-to-month tenant and you were required by law to give at least 30 days notice.

If you did have a written lease that didn't end until August or September then you should consider yourself lucky that you are merely forfeiting your deposit and you aren't paying another 4 or 5 months worth of rent to this landlord.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 26, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Your friend needs to re-educate themselves. You will find a link to CA tenants laws at the top of this forum. But the bottom line is that almost all states allow the landlord to retain the deposit to pay for unpaid rentals.

I agree with Lisa, they could have charged you even more so count yourself fortunate.

May 7, 2007, 11:34 AM
    I have a rental receipt that says " no balance due". I got that in the office in person the day they accepted the early termination of the month to month.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

May 7, 2007, 12:28 PM
    The receipt is meaningless since your deposit was not at issue when you paid rent for only 1 day... you owe the money and should pay it ASAP with notation on your check that this is payment in full for your tenancy at XXXX address. Be sure to keep a copy of your check when it is returned by your bank.

You were not relieved from your obligation to provide a 30 day written notice and the fact that you cleaned the property is to your credit and is probably the reason that your notice did not indicate MORE money was required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord keeping 1/2 of sec. Deposit due to 2 week notice- NO lease [ 8 Answers ]

I was renting an apt. for 750 / month (paid on the 15th of each month). It is a shared situation where my roommate and I each paid the landlord separately. I gave both my landlord and my roommate 2 weeks notice before I moved out. My roommate failed to replace me in 2 weeks and now needs until the...

I left apartment and turned in apartment's keys and gave no 30 day notice. [ 3 Answers ]

Why did the landlord charged me the monthly month of rent and still some more after I left apartment 8 days after I had paid 1 months rent and told them I could not stay there anymore due to family emergency and unemployment reasons. I gave them the keys so they should not charge me for the 8 days...

30 day move out notice [ 3 Answers ]

My tenant mailed me a 30 day notice that he was moving out. At the end of 30 days he text messaged me that his "loan" had not gone through and if could just continue paying and go on as before, I agreed. Four days later he left a message on my cell saying that he was leaving a the end of this...

Notice to Increase Rent [ 6 Answers ]

What are the guidelines for raising rent? I can see it is pretty much a 30 day notice, but what percentage are you allowed to increase rent by in general (max amount)? Also, I am drafting a new lease, do I have to include a clause that states I'm allowed to increase the rent in the future, or is...

2 week notice [ 1 Answers ]

Can an employer terminate you after you give 2 weeks notice without pay? I've heard of employers terminating employees but paying them for the 2 weeks. Someone that works in HR here in California says an at-will employee can be terminated without cause after they give notice and there is no need...

View more questions Search