Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jenster Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Property lien for credit card-
    Hello,
    My sister had a judgement against her for a fashio bug card. It went to court, she didn't show and they won by default. They placed a lien against her house. She lost her house in hurricane Ivan. Now she is getting letters wanting them to settle this. Is the lien still against her house if she rebuilt? The judgement was awarded in 2003. Should she go back to court in an attempt to get the judgement vacated? Or will they refile against her new house? OR, should we just leave it alone since they don't know her old house is gone?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 30, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Umm is this a valid debt? Then she should repay it.

As for placing the lien, the lien is against the property not the house. Does she no longer own the property? If so, why not? Its also unusual that a lien against a primary residence is allowed for unsecured debt. You need to check the laws in your state on that.

But the bottom line is, if she incurred the debt then she should pay it.
    Jenster Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Umm is this a valid debt? Then she should repay it.

As for placing the lien, the lien is against the property not the house. Does she no longer own the property? If so, why not? Its also unusual that a lien against a primary residence is allowed for unsecured debt. You need to check the laws in your state on that.

But the bottom line is, if she incurred the debt then she should pay it.

thank you for your quick reply. I believe the debt is valid, however, its 4x the amount she defaulted on. Her new house was rebuilt on 1/2 of the old property and 1/2 on a donated lot. We live in Ohio as far as I know, when the credit card was obtained it was unsecured. What should be her next step?
    -Jen
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 30, 2007, 08:19 AM
    What she should have done is not let a judgement be entered by default. Now that they have obtained a judgement they really have no need to negotiate.

Ivan reached up to Ohio? Its possible, in realigning the lots, the lien was not carried over.

So she has several steps to take. The first, is to check the title on the new and old properties to see if the lien is still recorded. Next she needs to check the laws for Ohio on whether a lien can be placed on a primary residence for unsecured debt.

If it can't or the lien no longer is recorded, I would approach the creditor (in writing only) proposing a settlement or payment plan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When can a credit card company place a lien on my property and what does that mean? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. To make a complicated story short, I refinanced my house last year to keep it because me and my ex were getting a divorce and to get his name off the deed. I just found out recently that the title company did not have us sign the right deed at the time and I needed it corrected. So I finally...

Credit Card Judgment preventing property sale ! [ 2 Answers ]

I bought my apartment a little bit more than a yea ago, I live in Florida and I am trying to sell it now, it's the only property that I have. The problem is that I have a credit card judgment and I have been told that I can not sell my property until I satisfy that debt. There is no lien against...

Can credit card companies put a lien on my house? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I live in Broward county, Florida, I defaulted in three unsecured business loans and two unsecured business credit cards all are guaranteed personally by me, now that the business has failed and the S corporation is dissolved, can these creditors go after me and put a lien on my...

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

View more questions Search