Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrbareit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Roommate Laws
    I currently am locked into a 1 year lease with my best friend. He has brought his girlfriend into this house also. Her and I do not get along at all. I have asked him to get her out but he refuses and makes excuses. I am clearly ganged up her two to one, and I am thinking about moving out. Can I force him to take the entire lease because his girl has caused a hostile environment? I should not have to be miserable in my own home, although he clearly does not care.

Please help if you can, I live in the state of Florida.

Thanks,

Jason Barrett
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 29, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Your lease isn't with your friend, it's with your landlord who has done nothing wrong in this scenario. If your lease spells out that only the two of you can live in the apartment you can ask the landlord to enforce the rule but he isn't required to do this. If you want to be evil about this move out and stop paying. He will be respossible for the lease payment and must sue you to recover.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2007, 09:36 AM
    No you can't force him to take over your part of the lease, if the lease is specific as to the number of people living in the house, you can ask the landlord to enforce this clause.

If not, you can move, but legally the other roommate can sue you for your part of any unpaid rent.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2007, 02:15 PM
    I agree with both posters above. Since we don't know the length of the lease term remaining, if it is for more than a couple of months you might want to consider speaking with your roommate again. Tell him that you cannot live with this new arrangement of the three of you living together. Tell him that you will agree to have his girlfriend's name placed on the lease in exchange for yours being removed and that you will help him as much as possible in dealing with the landlord. Then, call the landlord and tell him what is going on and what you have suggested to your roommate as a resolution. He will either agree to the change of responsibility (after doing a credit check), so you are free to move out without further obligation to him, or he will say no. If he agrees, make sure that you have something in writing from the landlord stating you are released of your responsibility for the remainder of the lease. If he does not agree and the rental agreement states that only the two of you are allowed to live in the residence, he is now aware of the fact a third person lives there. He might enforce the rule, he might not. If he doesn't, and there is no other way around this, then you are stuck. As the others above have suggested, you can move out but you leave yourself open to your roommate filing a lawsuit against you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord/Roommate added roommate without discussion [ 8 Answers ]

My roommate is my landlord. Recently he decided to add roommate to the house. I was never asked,nor was it discussed in any way with me. Two days before the new guys moved in I got a phone call that said, we’re getting a new roommate. He moved into the room next to mine right on time. We, me...

VA Roommate needs to go... [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I've read through many of the well informed responses on this board and I've perused the Virginia Landlord-Tenant law but am still a bit unclear on a few legal points and wouldn't mind some legal or general advice from people who've had similar experiences. I am a single, 30 year old male...

Roommate vs. Roommate evicitions ? [ 13 Answers ]

I am on a lease to rent a room. I found another person to rent the other room. I have lived at this house for 3 years. He has lived here for two months. I want him out because he is a nuisance. My rights as a tenant does not specifically state me as a Principle Tenant, but I've been here the...

I am a new roommate and need help [ 5 Answers ]

My son and I moved from another state to TN. My boyfriend moved to TN. 2 months prior to us coming here. He had moved in with his roommate/tenant, which they have been friends for many years. The lease is in the roommate/tenant name. The roommate/tenant offered my son and I to come stay with them...

Roommate needs to go [ 3 Answers ]

I have a roommate that has worn out his welcome with both myself and the landlord.I want him gone yesterday.We have lived in the house for three months (He moved in 15 days after me) And he has paid only one month rent.I live in Washington state and can't get anyone to give me some advice on how to...

View more questions Search