Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    huskey51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Priming an above ground water pump
    The water in my shallow well went below the pipe last summer and my pump needs priming. When I turn it on it has pressure in the tank but no water. How do I prime this above ground water pump?
    AdkGal Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by huskey51
    The water in my shallow well went below the pipe last summer and my pump needs priming. When I turn it on it has pressure in the tank but no water. How do I prime this above ground water pump?
    The pump has to have a priming plug on top. You have to remove the plug and fill the pump with water. Then you start the pump and hope it picks up the prime. If not, do it again until it does. IF, you cannot attain prime, you should consider a bad foot valve in your well.

Good Luck!
    Jackie
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 25, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Jackie was correct. There's a small plug on top of trhe impeller housing. Unscrew it and fill the housing to overflowing. Replace the plug and turn the pump on. If the water won't stay in the housing and drains out you have a faulty check or foot valve. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

Above ground water pumps [ 1 Answers ]

Why won't my well pump keep prime? Our water froze off a couple of days ago and now our pump keeps losing it's prime. We have replaced the points and can't find any leaks. Please help!

Water on ground from toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Water is leaking in between the toilet and the floor. What can cause this And how can I fix it ?

Wash water on ground [ 2 Answers ]

Hello.. Our house is for sale that we were renting. The washer drains through a PVC pipe into the yard. This nis how we purchased the house 11 years ago. There was no disclosure. Is it illegal? Thank you Valerie

View more questions Search