Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weavertj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 06:40 PM
    Landlord breaking of Lease
    We rented our house to our niece, with the understanding that she would not have to pay us a damage deposite, nor would she have to pay first and last month rent, with the understanding that she would take the house "as is". Ever since then it has cost us more to get things fixed than we can afford, such as plumbing, garage door repair and now the house needs a new heater. This is eating up our savings and we want to get out of this mess, but our niece signed a 2 year lease. How do we legally get out of the lease so we can sell the house?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Hello weav:

You don't need to get out of the lease before you sell the house.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Yes, you just have to sell the house, I will assume she pays monthy rent, if so whoever buys the house will have to assume the lease.

But you got into it ( and a two year lease on a dump?}
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 22, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by weavertj
    We rented our house to our niece, with the understanding that she would not have to pay us a damage deposite, nor would she have to pay first and last month rent, with the understanding that she would take the house "as is". Ever since then it has cost us more to get things fixed than we can afford, such as plumbing, garage door repair and now the house needs a new heater. This is eating up our savings and we want to get out of this mess, but our niece signed a 2 year lease. How do we legally get out of the lease so we can sell the house?
    You are not breaking the lease if you sell the house. The new owner will inherit the lease until it ends. This sometimes makes it a little more difficult to sell the house. Buyers who want to live in the house themselves have potential problems. If this is a property that would be considered "a fixer upper" you may find a real estate investor that would think it was great. Put it on the market and see what happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

Breaking Lease, [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Florida, but I've had trouble trying to find an answer for my specific situation. I'll try to explain my problem as best as possible, though I'm not quite sure I can. My brother and I originally signed a 1yr lease for $825 a month, but were than offered the option of "rent to own". We...

Lease-breaking HELP PLEASE! [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently on a years lease that goes until August, but am planning to move out in January. My roommates still have not found someone to replace me on the lease, and I have since been unable to find someone myself. My landlord is not agreeing to let me off the lease. Is there anything else I...

Landlord/Roommate - Breaking Lease in SC [ 11 Answers ]

I rented a room in a house on 10/15/06 from an internet roommate service. Since I have moved in (less than 10 days ago) I have received no less than 6 notes from my roommate/landlord, as well as calls on my cell phone and emails concerning 'things she wants to mention that she's noticed'. ...

View more questions Search