Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MP49D Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Feb 15, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Spouse is trying to keep marital house.
    My boyfriend has been getting a divorce for 3 and a half yrs now. One of the reasons this hasn't been finalized is because his wife wants to keep the townhouse. The townhouse is in my boyfriends name. She has been living in it for four years since they separated. Oue laywer says that when we go to court the house will have to be sold and split 50/50 (according to northern va law.). They were married when they bought the house. She has tried to get a loan for the house and put it in her name, a whole bunch of crazy ways her and her lawyer are trying to get the townhouse. In the end she has bad credit and the only way she can get a loan is if someone buys it with her. My question is, is there another way out? How can we get her out of the townhouse. We have tried everything, talking to her. Offered her 60/40 split, etc. She refuses to leave. Even knowing that the townhouse is now worth so much more than the original purchase price, she could walk away with over $100,000... she still refuses to sell. She has canceled the court dates, she has run the townhouse to the ground. We keep getting violations of dog feces in the backyard and garbage, shuuters that need to be repaired, a siliding patio door has plywood because she broke the glass. HELP! What about foreclouse? We are fed up and broke. :mad:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2007, 08:58 AM
    3 1/2 years appears to be a very long time to be getting a divorce. If he is serious about this he needs to file for divorce. The courts will take care of most of your questions. Who is paying the mortgage and other bills?

Feb 15, 2007, 09:08 AM
    My boyfriend is paying all the bills (mtg, proprty tax, association fees, insurance, etc.) so you can just imagine when we get notices from the homeowners association about violations and fees. They have him strapped. Four years ago they decided to get a divorce. They agrred to go through a mediator to get a settlement agreement then file for divorce. His wife decided that getting her on lawyer and filing for divorce on her own was a better way. This is our second lawyer. The first one said that there was nothing he could do, simply wait for her. HIs lawyer would send a letter and we would wait practically two to three months before we would get an answer. We keep getting the run around. Mean while, my boyfriend is berely paying his bills. Our lawayer says that if he fails to pay for any of the bills it would be held against him. We are just fed-up.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2007, 09:13 AM
    If he is paying all the bills no wonder she is in no hurry. Why should she leave, she has it made. The house is in her name also so she will be affected as much as him if all payments stop. I will bet informing her, in advance, that he will stop paying is going to get her attorney moving. Stop paying everything but the insurance.

Feb 16, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Thank you, I will try to do that. She is on the deed but not the loan. How will this affect his or hers credit? I guess he could call the mortgage company and inform them of his financial stress. Thanks again.
    ladybug777 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 03:55 PM
    I have been divoeced 15 yrs. My exhusband & I bought a house on an 15 yr. note. He would not settle the house according to the divorce papers,as he is still living in it. Property 50/50 A lawyer said I could not force him to pay me for half the house because there was no set time limit put in the divorce. He called & told me he paid off the house. Now how can he get his sole name on the deed when my name was on everything else.Doesn't he have.t to get me to sign the house to him before he can be put on deed as sole owner & finally pay me for half of the house before he sells it,or even if he doesn't sell it,how can they put it in his sole name? He wants me to sign a paper from his atty.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2007, 07:26 PM
    She is doing this to control her ex. As long as she does not agree, he has to be inpart controlled by her, and he can't move on with his life.

It is not really the condo that is the issue it is control and getting payback or getting control. ( personal opinion)

With her name on the deed there is little you can do without going through court

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding spouse name to house deed [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a house that he is renting to tenants but he is still making mortgage payments and want to add my name to it what steps do I take to do take? Thank you, Mistyrita

Deleting name of recently died spouse on house deed [ 1 Answers ]

My husband recently paased away after a about with cancer. I was told to have his name removed from our house deed, which we jointly owned. Was just wondering how to go about this, like who to contact or go to for this process. Thanks for your help and god bless.

Marital reading [ 1 Answers ]

Can I have a reading on my relationship with my husband please?

Marital problem [ 3 Answers ]

Dear seer.. My husband, daughter and I relocated to another state. Our initial plans are not going as we thought and now we are having marital problems. I left something out, but perhaps you can figure it out and enlighten me as to what I should do to solve this dilema. Thank you ...

View more questions Search