Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jclarkso Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Breaking Rental house lease due to state job relocation
    Hi, I was wondering If I can break my lease in Texas because I just got a job in another city in Texas working for the state as a corrections officer? My lease doesn't end for 5 more months and I have to move in about a month. My landlord told me I couldn't get out of the lease one time before and I'm hoping I can get out. Also, what happens if I can't get out and I just leave with the 30 day notice?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 5, 2007, 02:45 PM
    A lease is a two way street, it protects you but also protects the landlord who has done nothing wrong it this case. If you walk away from your lease you will likely lose your security deposit. You will also be liable for the rent for any months the place remains vacant. If you landlord rents to someone else, say a month from now, your security deposit may cover that month. He would need to get a judgement againist you in court and maybe he will and maybe he won't go through the trouble.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 5, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jclarkso
    Hi, I was wondering If I can break my lease in Texas because I just got a job in another city in texas working for the state as a corrections officer? My lease doesn't end for 5 more months and I have to move in about a month. My landlord told me I couldn't get out of the lease one time before and I'm hoping I can get out. Also, what happens if I can't get out and I just leave with the 30 day notice?
    Why not place an ad in the newspaper and attempt to find a tenant the landlord would approve of. Work with the landlord to find another tenant. Ask him for a copy of his rental application and tenant release so that a credit report can be run. If you find someone equal in credit, you will be providing the landlord with a tenant and a new one year lease. If you can coordinate the move in date, you may save yourself money. If you just leave, you will still be responsible for the rent until your landlord finds a new tenant or the lease ends. If he files against you in court, it will appear on your credit report and damage your score. Try to work it out with the landlord.
    stokers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Need to break lease due to Relocation
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 05:14 AM
    Hello stokers:

Try to read the responses above yours.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease in NJ due to job required move [ 15 Answers ]

I started a lease in Hackensack, NJ in May 2006. My job then required me to move to MD in August 2006. The lease had no cancellation clause and I am required to continue paying rent until the apartment is re-rented (a re-rental fee was required) or until my lease runs out. Is there a provision...

New job and relocation/terminating lease [ 2 Answers ]

I am taking a new job in Ft. Lauderdale as a high school math teacher. I have given the 60 day vacate premises notice required by the lease. The landlord is stating that I am responsible for the entire amount of the lease. To be paid on a monthly basis(which ends in OCT '07. I will be leasing a...

Breaking lease due to Corp relocation in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

Recently got new position which requires relocation. 1 year lease began Aug 2006 but must relocate by Feb 1 07. What can I expect in terms of breaking the lease ?

Breaking rental lease [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter and her boyfriend signed a 1 year lease in August they have since become pregnant the house is very small 1 bedroom no room at all for a baby and all of the items needed to care for one not even room in this apartment for a kitchen table let alone a crib for baby or any other...

Need to break lease due to Relocation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - Can you please help me! I move to VA just 7 months ago and have a 2 year lease. My job is relocating me to another state. Is there anything I can do to get out of the lease? Thanks in advance

View more questions Search