Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    val99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 02:46 PM
    30 day move out notice
    My tenant mailed me a 30 day notice that he was moving out. At the end of 30 days he text messaged me that his "loan" had not gone through and if could just continue paying and go on as before, I agreed. Four days later he left a message on my cell saying that he was leaving a the end of this week (today). I donot consider that to be another 30 day notice, can I penalize him for not giving enough notice to work on renting the house? I am in California.
    Thanxs, val99
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2007, 03:14 PM
    You were kind to allow him to stay. Many other landlords would have said, "tough luck, now get out". I would say he owes you for another month. Sending you a text message is really poor taste. You could have rented to someone else and now you are out. I would seek the full month's rent.

Did you keep documentation of his notice and his text message? You might need that and ANY other documentation, witnesses, etc. that you have. As it might end up in small claims court. Good luck.
    Desert Diva Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Here is a little info from Robert Griswold, Landlord/Tenant Expert:

Q:I live in an apartment on a month-to-month rental agreement and plan to move if I find a better deal elsewhere. My question is about the 30-day notice to vacate.

If I give my notice but don't find another apartment, can I legally withdraw my notice? My friend says that it can be done as long as it is at least a few days before the 30 days are over. In other words, the apartment management cannot force me to move if I change my mind.

Property manager Robert Griswold replies: Your friend is wrong. The notice is binding and any holdover beyond the expiration date could make you liable for damages incurred by the landlord or a new tenant should you continue to occupy the apartment.

The landlord can agree to let you rescind the notice but would typically only do so if he either had not yet rented your unit or could reach an agreement with the incoming tenant to accept a different unit.

I wouldn't count on the cooperation of the landlord or a potential tenant merely because you have changed your mind. If you refuse to leave, you could find yourself liable to an incoming tenant for her costs of not being able to move in as planned. I suggest you only give your 30-day notice when you are sure that you are moving and know exactly when.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 3, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by val99
    my tenant mailed me a 30 day notice that he was moving out. At the end of 30 days he text messaged me that his "loan" had not gone through and if could just continue paying and go on as before, I agreed. Four days later he left a message on my cell saying that he was leaving a the end of this week (today). I donot consider that to be another 30 day notice, can I penalize him for not giving enough notice to work on renting the house? I am in california.
    Thanxs, val99
    Did you work on re-renting before he changed his mind? Can you show advertisements in the paper? An effort to re-rent? After all your efforts, he changed his mind and the two of you agreed to a 30 day verbal rental agreement. You cancelled the ad in the newspaper, stopped taking phone calls and on several occasions turned potential tenants away. Is this somewhat correct? Then I would be keeping the security deposit to cover the expenses of him leaving and you again placing the ad and taking the calls.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 day notice [ 2 Answers ]

I am giving a 30 day notice on the first of the month and wanted to know if rent had to be paid during that time. I will actually be gone before the 30 days is up. A friend who owns and rents property told me that legally I am not required to pay but most people do because they don't know any...

Help with 30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend renting a room from me at my home. He decided he's going to move out yesterday 8/20/06 and didn't give me a 30 day notice. I come home and his belongings are packed up. Isn't he obligated to give a 30 ay notice and pay a prorated amount if the notice goes into the next month? Or...

30 day notice [ 5 Answers ]

If I put in a 30 day notice on the 5th and they did not get it until the 9th. The notice is dated the 5th can they make me stay or pay until the 9th even it I will be gone on the 2nd. Also can they evict me if I paid $375 which of which my security deposit was $850.00 and the rent is $1225. I...

30 day notice? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm in San Diego, California and I was initially on a lease, which expired over year ago so I am now month to month. The lease stipulates that if the lease expires without renewal the terms of the lease still apply in the month to month situation. The lease also stipulates that the tenant shall...

30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

If I received a 30 day notice on the 31st of the month, do I still have to pay the rent on the 1st. :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search