Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kall4help Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 01:27 PM
    I am looking for "tenant rights answers"... here is my situation: I have lived in the same house for over 8 years; the first 7 years was as the paying housemate with the owner of the house at which time the owner bought another house and moved to that one he now lives in; while I remained in this house for over a year and paying for the entire house myself. Which includes not only the original mortgage, taxes and insurance fees but also the added amounts from the equity loan he obtained to buy the house he is living in.
    Here is my question, in all these years I have been living here I have never signed a contract. We have just always had verbal agreements. Up until this time, I have been able to swing all the additional charges. But now that this is a new year, he is hinting around that he might need to raise the rent again. Well, it is not all right with me this time! I need to know what my legal rights are at this point and what grounds I have to support my argument... for him to not be able to raise the rent. At this point, I must add... I am always current on my monthly payments and I keep the house in excellent condition!
    Which by the way, he still registers this house as his actual residence and lists the house he is living in as "rental property"... so that he can keep this Florida Homestead Exemption in place.
    I look forward to any and all responses... thank you for your help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 3, 2007, 01:37 PM
    First, its not a good idea to piggy back on someone else's question. I'm requesting this be moved to is own thread in the Real Estate law forum where it belongs. Please take a look at how this site is organized for future postings.

You are a tenant on a month to month lease. As such, the landlord can raise the rent at any time with 30 days notice. You can then start looking for a place to move to if you don't like what he wants to charge. It really doesn't matter what you paid for. That was just the rental you agreed to pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant Rights VS Roommate Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I, the master tenant, recently took on a roommate. I paid $1675.00 (79%), and he paid $450.00 (21%) of the total rent. He lived in my apt for 10 days and moved on the 11th. He was a nuissance as he slept all day and tackled chores, i.e. laundry in the early hours 12:40 AM. So, due to our different...

Tenant rights during foreclosure (virginia) [ 11 Answers ]

I'm renting a house in virginia that I just found out is being foreclosed upon. The landlord won't answer his phone or emails inquiring about the foreclosure. There is an auction for the house on nov. 8. and the winner has to close on the house in 15 days. I want to know what my rights are? ...

Tenant Abandoned Home in VA... My Rights? [ 7 Answers ]

Tenant has abandoned my rental home in VA. I have given her notice by mail, posting on home, and registered mail of eviction. She still has all her things in the home and is not staying there at all. Can I move her things to the road? I am the daughter of the owner. Can I move into the home...

Alabama Tenant Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I've been living on some property for the past two years that has a main house set up for two tenants and a detached garage apartment. I live in the garage apartment. Only one of the two rentals in the house is occupied. The landowner and I never signed a lease or contract. The landowner told me...

View more questions Search