Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2010, 07:45 PM
    Coping Strategies for Dealing With Children Who Are Now Adults
    Hi, All!

Some of us are now middle aged, if not older. My daughter just turned 30 and my son is 28.

Perhaps, "dealing with" isn't the best terminology. But, I couldn't thing of better terms.

It's a personal thing. My problem...

I've, of course, gone through the times of them being children. Witnessed them graduating from this or that too. We've become friends. The really becoming friends thing happened while they were in their later teens.

They're both employed and successful at what they do.

They both have their ways of doing things as well as their own lives to lead.

I have trouble letting go of them being kids. After all, they are my children.

I suppose that it's also a matter of acceptance...

I'm sure that some of you know what I mean about the letting go and acceptance parts!

Any words of wisdom about how one needs to think as their children get older as adults?

Sharing of how you feel and think would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 07:21 AM

For one thing you have to realize that there is an expanded mentality in older children. And as part of that base they have their own bag of experience that comes with it. The hardest bond for a parent to break is the one of visions and dreams that you once held for your child. Also because they are older they have more latitude to fall. Life can bring so much and its experience can be so rich but as balance it can be the most horrible times to live through. As the parent you can't live the tough times for them. Look at how much parental interference is going on in the law boards. You will see exactly what I mean. Also as adults you need to realize that your child has a private life. As the parent your not suppose to know everything. The hardest thing to overcome is the line of communication without stepping over the boundary of authority. Simply put things happen and you must allow them to happen. That is most likely the hardest thing you can do as a parent of older children. Divorce, Loss of children etc. These are things that as adults we may face. And that process is different for everyone. So when it comes to adult children bottom line is there are no easy answers that go across the board. Every situation is as unique as your child is. Just keep communication and acceptance at the top of the list and in the end you will be rewarded for it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2010, 08:31 PM
    Very wise words from you, califdadof3! I apologize for taking so long to return to this thread!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can mold in mobile home be harmful for adults and children [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter and 2 school age children are living in a mobile home with mold in wall, ceiling, and roof. My daughter is symptomatic with cough, lung pain, and nasal congestion and the children are spending most of the summer away from home until school starts in Sept.

Dealing with the children of Divorced man [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am 28 years old and I am living with a divorced man age of 60 years. I lost my sisters and parents. Now I am alone with him but he wants to see those children and talkes about them I hate them and curse them.. I can't bear this situation.. My parents don't like me getting married to him. ...

Dealing with Children [ 21 Answers ]

I could really use some advice on this topic. Everything that I have researched provides information about some areas of concern, but it is a bigger problem than they discuss. Adam and I are faced with the problem of telling people(family) that we do not want children. This was determined early...

Dealing with obstinate adult children [ 2 Answers ]

I have three adult children who have chosen to put me through an emotional wringer; I have had enough of their wanting to beat me over the head with their emotional baggage that they have decided is all my fault. I have disowned them in my will, but I need a more spiritual cleansing of this...

Do children really see ghost better then adults? [ 6 Answers ]

Do children really see ghost better then adults?:confused: :confused:

View more questions Search