Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkruz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2010, 11:00 AM
    Need motion to oppose defendant motion for summary judment
    I have a case in federal court, after two years my previous attorney drop from the case, and I filed to appear Pro se, and defendant filed a motion for summary judment, also the court send me a an order to file a joint pretrial order. My case is a slip and fall case against a big corporation my medical bills are over $90,000, I have been looking for legal representation but none of the attorneys that I have visited are interested, I need help with some advice with motion to oppose summary judment and what I must do to file joint pretrial order
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2010, 11:07 AM

Why would you have a case in Federal Court for a slip and fall accident? Makes no sense except who you are suing. It should have been filed in a county court instead.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jkruz View Post
    i have a case in federal court, after two years my previous attorney drop from the case, and i filed to appear Pro se, and defendant filed a motion for summary judment, also the court send me a an order to file a joint pretrial order. my case is a slip and fall case against a big corporation my medical bills are over $90,000, I have been looking for legal representation but none of the attorneys that i have visited are interested, i need help with some advice with motion to oppose summary judment and what i must do to file joint pretrial order
    The civil rules should specify what goes into a pretrial order. Since it is to be joint, you and the attorney for the defendant need to talk to each other and agree on it. Call the attorney and say "We need to talk about the pretrial order." The attorney probably will want to draft it and you will sign it if you agree to what it says.

As far as opposing summary judgment is concerned, you need to offer affidavits, etc. which will show that there are factual/ legal issues which preclude summary judgment.
    jkruz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Why would you have a case in Federal Court for a slip and fall accident? Makes no sense except who you are suing. It should have been filed in a county court instead.
    The defendants lawyer filed in federal court (thats what my previous attorney told me) and you are right , any person that I talk to about my case they tell me the same thing
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 12:57 PM

Under certain circumstances a defendant has the right to remove a state case to federal court. Appears that's what happened here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I oppose a default motion in a foreclosure? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm currently in foreclosure. It was a stressful time and I confused the timeframe with filing my answer and filing for mediation. I filed my answer late by 8 days. I received a motion for default failure to plead. Will there be a hearing on this matter? If so, I assume I will be notified by...

How to oppose defendant's motion in CA to vacate the default judgment [ 1 Answers ]

As a plaintiff in pro per in CA, I was granted a default judgment. The defenfant then hired an attorney and filed a motion to vacate the default judgment with a hearing date coming soon. What do I need to do (or forms to use) to file my intent to appear to oppose the motion? And when?

Defendant opposition of motion seeking a default judgement [ 3 Answers ]

Need effective resons to oppose a default judgement where the plaintiff claims no response. I claim inproper service and i answered late

In a pre-answer motion am I the defendant or the plaintiff? [ 1 Answers ]

OK, I am needing to give a pre-answer motion to dismiss when I am the defendant in an upcoming case. I finally got the paperwork to crate a 'motion' but it has blanks where I fill in the names of plaintiff and defendant. In the actual CASE I am answering to, I am the defendant and the other guy is...

Need motion in opposition to defendants motion for summary judgement & TO STOP Thief [ 5 Answers ]

Good day all,received a motion in the mail "plaintiff's motion for default judgement as to defendents xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and judgement on the pledings as to defendant xxxxxxx (state gov agency that sold the tax deed ) this case is about a overlooked tax lein sold against my grandmothers house ...

View more questions Search