Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jill Dubesky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 02:11 PM
    Landlord wants to break tenant lease
    I need to move back into a condo that I have leased. The lease expires in September 2007. I can not wait that long to make my move. Can I legally break that lease?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Not sure what you mean move back into something you leased... but generally speaking, a lease is a contract that you're obligated to fulfil... UNLESS you can work something out with the landlord otherwise.

I would to go the landlord and see if you can get a buyout - or some other agreement to get you out early.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 10, 2006, 03:16 PM
    Rick, she means she leased it to the tenant occupying the condo she owns. It was pretty confusing, especially since there are so many questions posted from the tenants. As the landlord, you might have thought to put a clause in the lease allowing for such provisions... if not, then local laws will prevail and you may need a real estate attorney's consultation for that.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2006, 03:29 PM
    I see now. No, Jill, you cannot. If it were me I'd approach the tenant and make him/her an offer. Be frank and friendly - and try to come up with something that you think he/she would find advantageous...

Be as creative as you can:
    You could offer to pay moving expenses, her first couple or few months rent at the new place, to help find a suitable place for her, etc...
    tennisgirlmxd Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 4, 2008, 10:49 PM
    I have just rented my house with a 1 year lease attached to it. To find out that the tenants are dealing drugs. The cops have been to the house and arrested 2 of the kids friends. I now want to get them out of the house and would like to know my legal rights. And what to do first.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2008, 04:33 AM
    Hello tennis:

Read your states landlord tenant laws. We have a copy right here at the top of the page on a sticky note. Most states have a special provision for eviction due to drugs. Just do what it says.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord Tenant [ 6 Answers ]

I have a problem with my landlord and the association and I need your assistance. The property is in North Brunswick, NJ In June, my landlord received a letter, dated June 16th, stating that I have placed some miscellaneous items (Couple of buckets and a mop stick) on the deck of my rented...

Tenant vs. Landlord, VA [ 4 Answers ]

This one is a bit complicated... any help would be greatly appreciated... I was told by a woman I was working with that she had a house I could move in to and pay her "whatever" for the moment because she was paying the mortgage and it was empty. Something is better than nothing. I moved in...

Can a Landlord Break Their Own Lease? From Wisconsin [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We've been having problems with quiet enjoyment in our new apartment home. We have neighbors next door to us with a surround sound system. The repetitive base noise has made living here very difficult to enjoy. Additionally, we have adjoining porches with this neighbor. They smoke on their...

Landlord-tenant laws [ 23 Answers ]

My apartment complex manager entered my apartment without giving any notice while I was at work, told a friend that she specifically said could stay there until he found his own apartment to get out and served him with criminal trespassing papers, told him to never be near the apartment complex,...

Landlord Tenant Law - Washington, DC [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a friend who rented the basement apartment of her house to a person who has not paid rent for 2 years. She does not have a Certificate of Occupancy, but can't the tenant be evicted as a squatter, without a C. of O.

View more questions Search