Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bit bit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 12:04 PM
    Security deposit
    Hi All,
    My old landlord has not returned my deposit, we moved out on oct. 7th last month and on the 8th he came so we can insp. And gave back the keys. We were never late on our rent and keep the house as it was when we moved in. All but the decks he told us we could paint them if we liked and the basement what ever we wanted to do to it! So we did the decks at no cost to him, now he said that he has to have the siding cleaned cause we got paint on it :mad: CAN HE DO THAT?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 9, 2006, 12:16 PM
    Sure he can. If you did, indeed get paint on the siding. Is it fair or right? Probably not. But if he can point to any legitimate danage or repairs, he can deduct them from the security deposit.

If you look in the Real Estate Law forum (where you should have posted this)there are "sticky" notes with links to State laws. Many states have laws that say the landlord has to return the deposit within a certain time frame or an itemized list of repairs. So, if he didn't follow the law, he may have forfeited the right to keep all or a portion of the deposit.

Also when you did the insepction did he mention the siding? Did you get a written OK of the condition?
    bit bit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2006, 12:11 PM
    Hi its me again,
    We still haven't received are deposit or a itemized list of repairs. But, no he never mentioned anything about the siding. He just told me he was going to have the house cleaned, the carpets done and we had a cat that he know about ,so he said he wanted to have it sprayed for flees. And I was OK with all that! But, wasn't happy cause I spented the day cleaning the walls and washed the carpets. I am to the point I don't know what to do. Should I sent him a note stating we want the receipts?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2006, 12:19 PM
    Like I said, you need to check the laws for your state. If they state he has to give you an itemized list within x # of days and you haven't gotten that list you may be able to get all of your deposit back and more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security Deposit NYC [ 1 Answers ]

At the start of October I had given a $1400 security deposit for an apartment that I was supposed to move into on November 1st. All of a sudden, something had come up and I am now unable to move in to this apartment. I received this information on October 18th, which is 13 days before I was...

Will I get my security deposit back? [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend, a roommate and I started renting a home in February 2006. The house was a disaster but the landlords insisted we move in ASAP and the repairs would be completed within a couple of weeks. To make a long story short, the repairs were never done and our roommate decided to pack up and...

Security deposit interest [ 2 Answers ]

In Massachusetts, when a tenant moves out and the damages go over the amount of the security deposit, can you also keep the interest on that account towards repairs or do you have to give them the interest back on the security deposit and last months rent? It is a matter of cents. In...

Help my security deposit! [ 3 Answers ]

Moved out June 24 (pennsylvania). Move out date was June30 (was doing my landlord a favor so she can re-do bathroom.) Called her July 17 and she says she is not giving any of my security deposit ($1000) because the 60days prior to my moveout, the apt was "filthy" (I procrastinate...

Security deposit increase? [ 5 Answers ]

I've been renting for approximately 2 years and was informed last month that a $300 increase in my security deposit is required with my next month's rent. Is this legal? The propoerty was sold about six months ago and I'm on a month-to-month lease which the only option given. I know they can...

View more questions Search