Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loveydovey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 03:26 PM
    cannot afford to stay in Ca & and to move out of state
    I have 3 kids.
    My soon to be x has no intention of helping w/support.
    I canot afford to live and work in CA anymore.. I have family in NV to help and it is so much cheaper there.. but "x" says he will stop me.
    can he if we have not filed any papers yet?:(
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 05:11 PM

His intention to help is irrelevant. The court order will assure he does regardless of what he wants.

If you move now, he can file an injunction to prevent you from moving until custody and visitation is established. You may be forced to move back.

File before he does. Get a lawyer and have it state your intention/desire to move. Be proactive. Reactive means playing defense and no one scores on defense.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 09:40 PM

Whenever you file an action involving custody of children in California automatic temporary restraining orders go into effect (called "ATROS") that enjoin either party from leaving the state with the child without the written permission of the other parent or a court order. So, if you file a case, you will not be permitted to go anywhere outside of the State of California with the child until a court gives you an order saying you can (or the other parent gives you written permission).

If he files a case against you and serves you then yes, you cannot go to NV with the kid . If you cross the state line with the child after being served it not only is punishable as a contempt of court, you can also be arrested and charged with either a felony or misdemeanor, not to mention losing custody of the child to the other parent. So, watch out.

If nothing has been filed with the court then yes, you can go to NV; but, be sure you keep the other parent advised of where you are to avoid a parental kidnapping charge.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 04:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    If she files first she will be automatically barred from leaving the state with the child. Plus, there's no need to request an "injunction"--you get than automatically just by filing the case.
    I wasn't suggesting filing first so she can leave the state, I was suggesting filing first to both expedite the process and to be proactive instead of reactive.

As for the rest of it... I forgot... California is the exception to most laws that the rest of the country has or doesn't have.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    I wasnt suggesting filing first so she can leave the state, I was suggesting filing first to both expedite the process and to be proactive instead of reactive.

As for the rest of it... I forgot... california is the exception to most laws that the rest of the country has or doesnt have.
    If you just meant to initiate the process by filing right away then that is good advice. I agree. Why put off the inevitable?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I stay with him or move on? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am going out with this guy that is 16 years old. The first I met him he was nice and we ended up going out. Weeks passed by and we finally did it! 3 days after I found out that he was cheating on me with another girl. Me and the girl kept on talking about him. He stopped calling me and...

If a have a warrant for a misdemeanor in one state and move to another state. [ 3 Answers ]

If someone has a warrant for a failure to appear for a misdemeanor and they move to another state. Will they be able to get a license in the other state? And would the previous state really extradite for a misdemeanor?

Move on or Stay put? [ 1 Answers ]

The situation: I am a 26 year old graduate student. I've been dating my SO (also 26 yo grad student) for about 4 years (with an additional 3 years of off and on before that). In the past, we've done the long distance thing, as well as live together. We live in the same city, but in different...

Stay or Move? [ 14 Answers ]

I've been dating my boyfriend for a little over a year. He bought a house in November and we moved in together in December. We didn't do this for our relationship, it was more along the lines of him "striking while the iron is hot" and purchasing a house because he could. I moved in to ease the...

Can wife move out of state with child after divorce and residency in state [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are living in Ohio, have been residents for 9 months and have a 14 month old child. If we divorce and she would get custody, could she ever move out of the state

View more questions Search