Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Columbian Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2006, 04:57 PM
    Repair for tenant who hasn't paid us
    Hello:

My husband and I rent a unit to a person who stops paying us two months ago. Since we live in West coast and the property we own is in New York, it takes us long time to evict her, but finally it is in process of eviction with our friend's help. (We gave our friend our power of attorney so she can file eviction for us)
    Now our friend told us that the steps of the front porch of that unit are falling off and need some repair. Even postman refuses to deliver mails since the mail box is located on the porch. We really cannot afford (And I really don't feel like) to spend money to repair steps since she lives our unit free for two months. Do we still have obligation to repair these steps?

Thank you
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2006, 05:04 PM
    Hello Columbian:

The steps are going to be fixed for a whole lot longer than it takes to evict her. Even though SHE might be able to enjoy them for a month or two, YOU will enjoy the rent you receive from them for about 20 years.

So, your obligation isn't to her, but to yourself.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 13, 2006, 05:07 PM
    I will add, if you neglect to repair something dangerous after being notified and someone is injured, the law suit will be for a lot more money than fixing the steps, and guess just guess who might be the perosn to fall from them, yep the tenant.

If you can not afford to do repairs to rental property, you don't need to own it and should consider selling it.
    Columbian Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2006, 05:40 PM
    Thank you for your comments - I was a bit upset with her and the whole situation with her (she is literally destroying our unit)- that's why I got some attitude -
    I will call the repair man and fix it right away..!
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Aug 14, 2006, 06:02 AM
    You or your friend needs to get to an attorney who is familiar with NY L-T laws and get the steps fixed. That is most certainly a housing violation.

If you want to keep the unit as a rental, hire a professional property manager to lease and manage the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Getting paid! [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, I have a simple question. I had to go to court (long story) and won about $3000 but that was a few years ago. Of course I have not seen any of it... what can I do? I don't know how to go about garnishing wages, and have since moved to a new state... any thought?

Paid here, not living here... [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, my inquiry is the following. I arrived to the US under a H1B visa in March 05, and worked here (paid by a US company in an US account) the whole year. In a couple of weeks I will be coming back to Europe (indefinitely), but for at least a year the US company will keep paying my salary in my...

Un-paid salary [ 2 Answers ]

I worked as a sales rep for a physical therapy center (for a short period, two weeks and 2 days) before I quite. I did not trust the owner/president of This small company and the work environ became totally negetive, and besides, I did not want to become too much in hock to him lest I get burned....

View more questions Search