Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justincaseme Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Deducting Remodel expenses on rented room?
    Hi - I rent out a room in my house for a modest amount, and I also work a salaried day job. I recently did some remodeling work, with the main focus being that bed room (other parts of the house are still in progress). The costs of tools and materials turned out to be several thousand dollars.

1) I've read on IRS.gov that I cannot claim a depreciation deduction, for that room, for more than I've made in rent. This is because I live at the house and renting in not my primary business. Did I understand that correctly? If so, how much of the deduction can I carry forward to future years?

2) Instead of claiming a depreciation deduction, can I claim one-time business expenses (tools and materials)? If I choose this route, can I deduct more than I earned from the rental income? Can I deduct the expenses against my salaried day job?

Thanks in advance!
    justincaseme Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 12:41 PM

... by the way, only I and the renter live at the house, and he shares the common areas 50% (bathroom, kitchen, garage, living room. Can I therefore deduct 50% of the cost of improving the common areas?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 01:28 PM
    1) Yes, that is correct, and there is NO carry-forward at all.

2) No, your rental expenses CANNOT exceed your rental income.

This being the case, you need not even report the rental income on your tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rented out room in my house, tenant now missing. [ 1 Answers ]

In early October I rented out a bedroom in my house (no lease was signed). A couple weeks later, the guy went home for a couple weeks due to an emergency (home is a few hours away). Before the end of October, he called to tell me he was staying at home for another week or so, but he'd be back by...

Can my mom be my dependent while she is deducting my sister's college expenses? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, another dependency question. So my mom just got her green card and arrived to US on June 27, so I can claim her as a dependent on my taxes since my husband and I provided her with more than half of the support and by the end of the year she will have stayed with us for over 183 days. But my...

Deducting moving expenses in Rhode Island [ 1 Answers ]

In 2007 I moved into Rhode Island for a job. I deducted the moving expenses on my federal return (form 3903), and now want to deduct these expenses on my Rhode Island State return. Does anyone know if I can, and if so, where on the Rhode Island return?

Deducting travel expenses [ 2 Answers ]

I work at a remote site in Alaska, while there my accommodation is provided by my employer (there is no private accommodation at this site, no homes, etc). I live in Alabama. Is deducting my travel expense legitimate? By the normal IRS defination of tax home that would be the site in Alaska, does...

Home owner lease for rented room for relitives [ 3 Answers ]

My inlaws need to move in to my house and they think that they can use their attorney to draw up a form of a lease of their own rules. What they are thinking, I really done know. Who does this and is it legal for I am the homeowner.

View more questions Search