Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ambr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Is a tenant's 30 day notice to vacate legally binding in the City of Los Angeles?
    We are in escrow for a home in Los Angeles. Escrow closes on Oct. 13.
    If we put in a 30 day notice with our landlord (vacating November 1) and fall out of escrow, are we legally bound to move out of the apartment? Or should we wait till escrow closes to put in our 30 day notice?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 10:12 AM

I would wait till you are in escrow, since a closing date is moved and set back on regular basis all the time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2008, 10:21 AM

What type of landlord is it and how good a relationship do you have?

If you are in a large impersonal complex, then I would wait until you are sure of your move out date. This may cost you extra, but it will cost you more if you need to move into a hotel because your house isn't ready.

If you are in a house or small complex and you are on good terms with the LL, then explain the circumstances to them and ask what they want.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 01:11 PM

Legally, you have to move the day that you say that you will in the notice. After all, your landlord may have rented the unit to someone else already, because you said you would be out of it. I'd wait until I was pretty sure escrow was going to close before putting in my notice, if I were you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a rental lease legally binding if it was not signed by all parties? [ 6 Answers ]

Is a rental lease legally binding if it was not signed by all parties?

Is a verbal agreement legally binding? [ 3 Answers ]

My father-in-law is visiting us in Arkansas and was considering moving here. He looked at some homes for sale, and made a verbal offer (no realtors or paperwork involved) on a house. The seller counter-offered, but would not come down far enough. My f-i-l never signed any paperwork or offered...

Received a 60 day notice to vacate - do I need to give a 30 day notice? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! The rental property is in cupertino, California. I received a 60 day notice to vacate as the new owner wants to remodel the property. As I have a house that I had bought and was also renting this unit I would like to vacate within 15 days and move all my stuff? Question - Am I...

Is my lease still legally binding? [ 2 Answers ]

As of June 1 2006, my 1 year lease was up and I was to continue my rental agreement with a month to month lease following he fullfilment of this one year lease. As of July 1 2006 the rental property was taken over by a new property owner. I never signed any lease agreement with this new owner...

View more questions Search