Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iggmo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Texas- Landlord changed rental rate in the middle of the lease
    I have lived at Pine Knoll apartment complex in Longview Texas for 2 years. I signed a new, year long, lease agreement in June. Today, Sept. 14, I come home to a notice on my door stating that they are raising my rent by $40 a month. There are no hidden facts here. I am current and have always acted within the parmeters of the lease agreement. The lease is a standard TAA agreement. Can they do this? I see nothing that says they can. I thought the lease was a legaly binding contract for both parties. Also, can they charge more for pets than the lease says not to exceed? Where can a person go for help?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 07:02 PM
    What you can do if you are sure the lease does not give them the right, 1. ask them why, ask for the reason in writing
    2. remind them of the lease. ( This is a trick I have seen done many times) my apartment tried it thierself this year. I came home with the note on the door, saying that the water was being added to the rent as of next month,
    I called and told them no it was not, then I followed up with a letter saying no my lease was for... for the time.

Next after being sure the lease does not allow them, just refuse to pay it, pay your regular amount on time. Then if they wish to try to evict they will take you to court, you present your proof and win.

It will be up to them take you to court if they want to try and force you
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2008, 10:09 AM
    I can tell you for a fact that the TAA lease does not allow for this. It's the lease I use. Read Paragraph 15.

I would write them a note and keep a copy of it for yourself. Tell them that you'll be glad to get in touch with them prior to 30 days before your lease is up and discuss whether you'll be extending your lease at the higher rate. In the mean time you will continue to pay your $XXX.XX of rent, as stated in your lease, through (whatever date your lease ends.)

That should end it. May have been clarical error - person giving out increases didn't notice your renewal, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Status changed from f1 to h1 middle of year. Which form to file [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in the US from 2005 as F1. Last year on Oct1 my status changed to H1. I have been filing the 1040NR form for the last 2 years. This year I went to a tax consultant who suggested that I should file 1040 form. Is this the right form to use? Kindly advise.

Can a fixed interest rate be changed after I sign? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently reconsolidated my school loans, and I signed the promissory note, which indicated that my loans were at a fixed interest rate of 3.125%. The company that is handling my loans sent me a payment schedule based on a 4.125% interest rate. I, of course, called them to dispute this matter. At...

Lease - on renewel, landlord just changed old lease [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, We have lived in this single family home for over a year, and when our lease was up, we elected to re-sign for another year. The first year was problem free in the home, but recently we have had some issues the landlord has needed to address (And has in turned cost her money). I...

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Vacation Rental in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

We have a lakehouse that we are beginning to set up as a vacation rental in Texas (i.e. weekend, weekly, monthly type rentals). I haven't been able to find anything online regarding Security Deposits in Texas... i.e. what can/can't be deducted, when it needs to be returned, etc. Anyone have...

View more questions Search