Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lasater Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2003, 08:09 PM
    Re-refinancing my home mortgage
    I just recently refinanced my home (3 weeks ago).
    I refinanced from 6.875 to 5.625%.

We do not close until the 29th, 4 more days.

Since I received the rate of 5.625, I've noticed the rates have dropped another 1/2%, and now down to 4.875 to 5.25 with not points (in my area).

I would like to know if it is possible to change the 5.625 percent down to the current rate (average 5.125%) ? Or at least get my broker to lower it, more ?

Everything has been signed but we have not closed the deal yet.
    I have given the broker a $250 check for earnest or whatever you would call the deposit.

I could save another $20,000 or more by getting the interest rate reduced another 1/2%.
    Is there a way I can get out of the current refinance situation or have them lower the rate before closing?

Thanks,
    Rick
    jfk112263 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2003, 07:01 PM
    re-refinancing my home mortgage
    No, you cannot, once you paid the broker and agreed on the rate, it is frustrating but look at the good side, you have close to a historically low rate!!
    clover23 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Dear jfk112263:

As a mortgage consultant, I would encourage you to: 1) find a rate you LIKE, then LOCK IT, or wait until you're clear on what you'd like to accomplish. Rates are subject to changing daily - even hourly in a volatile market, and if you think you can hold out for the best final rate, you ignore this fact: people have invested time, effort & expenses already - some may not be paid until your loan closes AND FUNDS. It's reasinable to want to save as much as you can, or pay as little in financing as you can, but - and I don't know what field you're in - imagine how it must feel to witness a person be indecisive over 1/2%... what does this add up to in REAL dollars? Rates can also worsen, so if you're not protected from interest rate changes by locking it (i.e. making a commitment), you should be exposed to interest rate risk as well... fair is fair.

You have a GREAT rate! "Worth "bragging about at a cocktail party," but you are going to make PAYMENTS... don't jockey for a "rate" after you've engaged many people already. You signed already - how would you feel if your payment books came at a HIGHER rate, since you never COMMITTED to the rate you signed for - what if it got WORSE (since you appear noncommittal)? You're still shopping! Understandable, but if the shoe were on the other foot, how would YOU feel?). This isn't fair, and you would serve yourself and everyone else well if you made a decision and stood by it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refinancing mortgage [ 4 Answers ]

Hello OK I would like to refi my mortgage , I have 8% now for 30 yrs. Owe 37,000 and 10,000 on a second.  my credit score is 635  and 4yrs out of bankruptcy, I have 2,000 in credit cared debt and owe 5,700 for my car. Which is 99.00 a mo ,  my mort  is 448 a mo that is piti.. The second is...

Bankruptcy & refinancing [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy 2 years ago and now we are trying to refinance our home. We have a 1st and a 2nd lien (mortgage) on our home. There is no problem with the 1st as we reaffirmed it in our ch7, however our attorney did not get the paper in on time to reaffirm the 2nd so...

Refinancing my home [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently refinanced my home (3 weeks ago). I refinanced from 6.875 to 5.625%. We do not close until the 29th, 4 more days. Since I received the rate of 5.625, I've noticed the rates have dropped another 1/2%, and now down to 4.875 to 5.25 with not points (in my area). I would like...

Refinancing home [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I was late on my mortgage payment and I explained to the guy that I was trying to refinance and would be paying him out of that money. But he sold my home out from under me, to some one that works at his company.CAN THAT HAPPEN??

Home mortgage [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I purchased a home at the beginning of December. We financed the home with an 80-15-5 mortgage. The term is 30 years. Fifteen percent of the mortgage is through a home equity loan in the amount of 25K. I received a coupon booklet for the payments and the payments are $89 per...

View more questions Search