Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joebatters Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2006, 06:55 PM
    Divorce mediation rip off
    This is complicated. I'll try to keep it short. Here goes. My wife moved out of the house and left me with our 2 children. I filed for divorce. When she got the papers she lied and said the kids were living with her and therefore got temporary custody. While she had temporary custody, she moved them to a new school. Our first court date not too much happened other than the fact that a guardian ad lidum was appointed. Then my ex-wife calls and says that
    She will agree to put the kids back in their old school (which, of course, they really wanted to) if I go to mediation. So when we go to mediation, the mediator says he talked to the guardian and tells us that the guardian recommends that the kids stay in the school she moved them to. This made so sense to me and I tried to ask the guardian myself but couldn't get ahold of her. So during mediation I give up a lot of tangible items to get my ex-wife to agree to put them back in their old school. So finally I get a hold of the guardian and she says that she told the mediator that she recommended all along that they go back to their old school. The mediator really screwed up.
    Well, I couldn't go back and renegotiate at that point because by this time it was only 4-5 weeks before school started and I feel like I have to get the divorce finalized so that there would be no problems getting re-enrolled in their old school. So now they are back and happy which is good, but I wrongfully had to give up between $5-10 thousand due to the mediator misrepresentation. What should I do? Thank you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 26, 2006, 07:57 PM
    Pick a better wife next time.

Really divorce is a mean fight, I have not heard the term lawyer and what the lawyer said, if you don't have one get one fast,

Divorce final in 4 to 5 weeks if things are still not agreed on, maybe 4 or 5 months.
    Joebatters Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2006, 01:57 AM
    Dude,
    Is that supposed to be funny. Thanks for reminding me why I hated 12 years of Catholic school... this just in... women can lie, cheat and deciet.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2006, 04:57 AM
    No it was suppose to be a question of why you are not using an attorney and if you believe it is going to be final in a few weeks you were wrong.

An attorney would not have let you get tricked so bad by looking at what evidence they had and all the reports in writing first.

Basically saying you either have a poor attorney are you are being too trusting of the legal system
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2006, 05:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebatters
    Dude,
    Is that supposed to be funny. Thanks for reminding me why I hated 12 years of Catholic school....this just in...women can lie, cheat and deciet.
    So can men. The healthier way to look at it is that specific woman lied, cheated, and deceived you. Or else you'll have a lifelong horrible outlook on women and that'll block any chance of you possibly meeting soemone nice someday.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2006, 05:16 AM
    Hi, Joebatters,
    You don't have a lawyer??
    I am not a lawyer, nor a Professional in the area of Divorce.
    However, I did go through a divorce after being married for 7 yrs, having two small boys at the time. She had a lawyer, I had a different lawyer, and it worked much better that way.
    Trying to do things by yourself, in your case, is not going to result in what you want to happen!
    You have to know the Court's Rules, just as a lawyer when you go to Court, Hearing, or other.
    Please get yourself a lawyer, experienced in divorce, separation, etc. You really, really need one. Since you have already spent at least $5,000, this money may not have been needed to be spent if you had a lawyer. The only thing you can do now is get one.
    My second marriage is now going 29 yrs. Strong, with a wonderful woman.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce [ 4 Answers ]

My friend is going through a divorce and it's been a year and a half and still no final decree has been signed. His wife and her lawyer has done everything in their power to stall the whole process. What I mean by that is she was acusing him of committing adultry, never turned in any evidience for...

Yes/No to divorce? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband of eleven years told me he wasn't in love with me anymore. We have been separated a little over a year now. He has a girlfriend which he says is not serious. I have filed for divorce but for some reason he does not want to divorce me. He says, "he cares because he calls to see how I...

Mediation or Insurance? [ 10 Answers ]

I accidentally bumped into the car in front of me and caused a small crack on the back bumper of the car in front. However, because of the crack, the driver says he needs to replace his whole bumper which would probably cost over $600. He said he will not call my insurance if I agree to give...

Cause of Divorce? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi. I have a very bad situation on my hands. See, I'm 13 and my parents MIGHT get a divorce because of me. See, I saw my mom doing somwthing that she shouldn't have been doing (making out with a friend of her and my dad's when she was drunk) and I told my dad because I was scared and confused. ...

Divorce-Who does it? [ 9 Answers ]

My friend lives in Iowa, has decided to divorce his wife. They are not contesting anything, want 50/50 with their two daughters and agree on everything. The question is does he have to pay an attorney $2000 to get the divorce or can he get the necissary papers and do it himself for around $300?

View more questions Search