Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    finder11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Payment After Eviction Process
    My landlord has recently filed an eviction suit for non-payment of rent in Florida. We have yet to schedule a hearing and still have a few days to respond to the court with a defense. If we paid the rent would the landlord have to drop the eviciton and continue to let us stay in the home?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2008, 02:03 PM
    If the landlord agrees to accept your delinquent rent they should drop the suit as you paid the rental monies. Be sure to get a receipt from the landlord and show up at any hearing with this receipt just in case. Dumber things have happened when you don't show up at hearings even though everyone swears the hearing is off and the case dismissed. If your landlord agrees to accept your payment and drops the suit and you want to continue living there, don't be late with the rent again in a big hurry. He may not accept your rental monies but if he does not accept the rent, go to court with the money and tell the judge you have the money to pay him right with you and that you want to pay and he refused payment.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Just to be clear, you need to have all the rent that you are behind, not just this month's.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by finder11
    If we paid the rent would the landlord have to drop the eviciton and continue to let us stay in the home?
    Hello finder:

I think so. Froggy is right. You need to cure the rental defect totally. But, if you're only a month to month tenant, he can throw you out with a 30 day notice.

Florida, however, is a different landlord/tenant animal than the rest of the country. Given the above, if I were you, I'd want to SEE the law for myself. I have to tell you that I didn't read it..

So, if you want to see it for yourself, we have a copy right here at the top of the real estate page on a sticky note.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Generally, this depends on what stage of the process you are in. The first step can be one of two things. Either a pay or vacate notice or a lease termination notice. If you got a pay or vacate, then the sole reason for eviction is non payment of rent. This would mean that you could end the eviction process at anytime prior to being physically removed by bringing your rent FULLY up to date, including late charges.

However, if you have been chronically late, the landlord could refuse the payment.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Check this: RIGHTS AND DUTIES OF TENANTS
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 10:27 PM
    [QUOTE=George_1950]Check this: see if this works any better: RESIDENTIAL EVICTIONS IN FLORIDA: WHEN THE RENT IS DUE, WHERE IS THE PROCESS?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction process [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if the laws are different for evicting a tenant out of an owner occupied two unit in NY.

Eviction process [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to evict a tenant for non payment of rent and understand Florida law but what happens to the tenant's property not removed by the date the tenant can't come back on the property... Jim

Eviction process [ 5 Answers ]

OK here's the situation I have lived in the same place for almost 8 years we have 4 children and a year ago our landlord sold the apt buildings we live in to someone else right then it started with you need to get the yard cleaned up and get rid of the dog that you have and so we clean up the yard...

Eviction process [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I live in Las Vegas NV and I am not sure what the laws are here in regards to the eviction process. I am a Tenant who has had a set back in my career. Our Landlords are giving us some time but I would like to know what the steps are in the eviction process. If you could please give me some...

Eviction process [ 4 Answers ]

After I have been served a three day notice and I still haven't paid the rent, do I still have an opportunity after that to pay the rent?

View more questions Search