Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike6450 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 09:58 PM
    Commercial Lease expired 1 year ago
    My California commercial 3 year lease expired one year ago. I have continued paying rent as per the schedule on the old lease. My landlord finally got around to putting together a new lease for my signature. However I'm not liking some of the changes in the new lease and my landlord says sign it or he will consider me a holdover and charge me back rent for the holdover. At this point I'm ready to move. Can he charge back holdover rent? How do I terminate since there is no lease? Do I give 30 days notice. Is my security deposit forfeited? I'm not wanting to mess with him but I feel like I'm being coerced into a new lease.
    Help!
    Mike
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 05:55 AM
    I don't see how a judge would grant your landlord holdover rent since your landlord accepted your rent payments without objection and he never made any demand that you leave the property.

You became a month-to-month tenant when your old lease expired and you should be able to terminate upon giving 30 days written notice. However, you have to carefully read the former lease. If the lease states anything about giving more than 30 days notice that you do not intend to renew, or if the lease mentions anything about being liable for holdover rent, then those items will control.

I suggest that you have an attorney review your lease before you take any action.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 4, 2008, 06:15 AM
    When a lease expires without renewal, but the tenancy continues, then the terms of the lease continue, except for the expiration and rent. Since the landlord did not inform you of an increase in the rent and, in fact, continued to accept payments at the rate listed in the lease, they can't go back now and say you owed an increase. No judge would grant it.

Since all the other terms of the lease continue, they will govern how much notice you have to give. So you need to read it. Your security is to be used to repair any damages to the property. So when you hand over the keys, make sure you do a walkthru and have the landlord sign off on it. He will then have to return your deposit within the time proscribed by law. He cannot withhold for back rent if you have paid it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to know if we can get out of a 5 year commercial lease? [ 2 Answers ]

Here is the situation. We were promised signage off the rd that are address is on. That didn't happen. They put it on the side rd, making it hard for people to know we are here. n We have not got near the business we thought based on the prime location we are in. All the businesses around us are...

Expired Lease tenant not paying. [ 1 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease with a tenant on Aug. 2006 ending on Sept 2007 in the state of Fl. She has always been late, but in the end she paid except for Aug. rent. Then she paid Sept. rent. She missed Oct. rent so far. Her lease did not give her the option of going month to month. It was never a...

Renters lease expired [ 1 Answers ]

My lease was expired 2 years ago and I was living there month to month. My son bought a home and he was stationd in Japan and he told me to move into the home asap, because he hated that I was paying someone else's mortgage. I sent a letter to my landlord in the end of August and also the June rent...

'Tenant Lease Expired And Won't Leave' [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, (Sorry for a second post - Profile stated No questions recorded at log-in) I want to make sure I am doing things right during an eviction and during future court date. Everything I state below, can be validated in writing from communication between current tenant and myself. Tenant...

Lease expired tenant not moving out [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a property and rented out with a 1 year lease. The lease had expired, and I told the tenant he can not live there anymore because I want to move in. He did not want to move and keep making up reasons. What can I do? I live in Orland Park, Illinois. Should I write a notice letter or seek...

View more questions Search