Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    egator330 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Son owns house, mom lives there; won't get financing OR move!
    I have a question:

My husband bought a house in 1997, completely on his own - The mortgage / deed / taxes are all in his name ONLY. His mother was supposed to get her credit straightened out and get financing to get the house out of his name. It is now 11 years later, and she will not get off her behind and obtain financing, etc. (though she has a good job) NOR will she move so that we can rent it out to someone who would ACTUALLY PAY US RENT! (She paid us a mere $900 during ALL of 2007 - Talk about CHEAP living arrangements!)
    She has been trying to get my husband to sign a quit claim deed to add her name to the deed; The hesitation lies in not being able to get a straight answer regarding whether this would relinquish his financial responsibility with regards to the mortgage / taxes, should she EVER default on the loan. *We have spent the past 2 years cleaning our credit up and getting debt free, and we REFUSE to have a foreclosure by just letting the house go back to the mortgage company). We currently have our own mortgage payment, and to continue carrying both is a burden we can't carry much longer. If there's ANY way to sign a quit claim deed and have ALL responsibility for the mortgages, taxes, etc. transfer to her SOLELY, then we are game. Otherwise, I believe our only option at this point is to begin the EVICTION process so that we can get her out of there and either rent it out until the market recovers, or place it on the market for what is owed (which is, by the way, all we are wanting from her - The balance owed on the loan!) - Talk about a piece of work - If anyone out there KNOWS the law regarding this, please help me out. Thanks so much!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Not paying much if anything towards mortgage or taxes spells eviction as the only remedy as she sure has you two in a predicament of your own making. Start eviction proceedings and see if that doesn't wake her up! Why should you foot the bill for her rental? Having given her free (or almost free) housing for 11 years who in their right mind (?) wants to start paying for it if they can keep saying "NO" to getting their own mortgage to pay? Do rent it out to people who will actually pay their fair rent towards mortgage and taxes so yo don't have to worry about a foreclosure. Mom sure doesn't care about it at this point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boyfriend will not move out.My mother owns the house! [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend won't move out... My Mother owns the house, and we live in one of the apartments... he has been telling me that she cannot evict him without evicting me also... which doesn't make much sense to me at all! There is no lease, we pay month to month (since I'm family and all). So what I'm...

Who lived/lives in my house [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question I hope someone can answer. we moved into a small house. And lately we have had a few strange happenings. My granddaughter (2 years old) says MOM, Guy.. points to the bathroom. We see nothing but she did. My oldest grandson laid down on his bed, felt as if someone laying next...

Claiming a grandchild that lives with you or does father that lives elsewhere? [ 6 Answers ]

My 18 year old daughter lives with me full time, is full time high school student, has had a baby 12/5/07 and the baby also lives with me. I do claim my daughter as a dependent. The baby is covered by his fathers insurance. Who claims the baby as a dependent on their taxes, the father or myself?

Who Owns House Now that Ex-Spouse Died? [ 3 Answers ]

1. Fifteen years ago when I divorced my husband, I signed a Quit Claim Deed. 2. He refinanced and paid me off. Last year, he paid off that refinance loan and went into a reverse mortgage agreement. 2. Our son (25 years old) lived in the house with his father, my ex-husband. 2. My...

View more questions Search