Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kabbin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Can I file Quiet Title Action in my case?
    Hi -
    Below is the summary of my situation. I am based in Orange County, CA.

I was in a relationship with my then girlfriend (April 2006). I bought this condo in Orange County, CA with me on the title as the lone owner and the mortgage completely in my name since she did not have a good credit. After a month, she wanted me to get her on the title, which I obliged since I was planning to get married to her anyway. Once she got on the title as the part owner, her tone changed and I had to break-up the relation with her. And also at that time she had gotten admission to a school to get her RN Nursing degree to which she needed a loan. Since she did not get approved for the student loan, she brokered a deal with me that if I I co-sign on the loan, she would sign back the papers to me (revoking her part of the home ownership and the agreement was verbal). However, we did sign documents in front a notary, but I made the mistake of having her mail the notarized documents (quit title claim), since the very next day early morning of us notarizing the documents, I had to go out of country (I was visiting my home country). Anyhow, a month later I got back, my home belongings were gone and she had never mailed the documents. This was Aug 31st 2006. Since then she has made me help her financially for school using the signed papers as a bait and been making excuses for not mailing back the documents. I am now stuck in a rut. Couple of things in my defense are...
    1. I signed her on the title ONLY on the pretense of marriage
    2. She has not made a contribution of a single penny towards the mortgage or the property taxes since the condo was bough
    3. She has not resided in this property since Aug 2006.
    4. She has not provided her location, of where she resides. Only way to contact her is by email, when I request for an address, she gives me out an address that is supposedly of a friend of hers.
    5. I have emails from her stating of her intent to sign papers back to me giving me full ownership.

Reason I am looking for advice is that, attorneys fees are exorbitant and I just cannot afford at this time. What are my options? Can I file the action myself? Also is there a period after which the person being sought, doesn't reside in the property can be considered not the owner anymore? Since I live in California, if anyone has this info, that would be helpful as well.
    Thanks and Regards
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2008, 08:10 PM
    Sue her for breach of contract and fraud.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Yes, sounds like you will have to sue her directly
    kabbin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2008, 11:47 PM
    Thanks for your responses folks. Can I file it myself though (be it suing or filing for quiet title action) ? Mainly are there any risks specifically if filing by myself?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2008, 08:24 AM
    There are risks and you should speak with an attorney.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 09:03 AM
    A quiet title really will not work here, in that you are filing in court to have the current deed ( your deed) reconised as valid and to get rid of any other claims form previous liens or deeds.

There is no question as to the current deed being valid, it is, your issue is that you made a contract ( deal) to buy another persons interest in that house and they did not fulfill their part of the deal)
    so you have to sue for the value of that deal and/or completion of that contract ( verbal)

In it, you have to prove first there was an agreement, what the terms of he agreement was, and show the breach of the agreement

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quiet title action in foreclosure [ 14 Answers ]

HI. We have been trying to negotiate a short sale for a property in foreclosure. We have a signed contract from the wife. Her ex-husband, also on the title and loan, has not been in contact with her or even his own family for years. (Wife didn't even know they were divorced, but I found online...

Indemnity or quiet title action? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I purchase land that had a 1976 mobile home on it in 1992. Part of the financing was carried by the lady we purchased it from. This financing was placed as a lien on the title for the mobile home only (not on the deed to the property). She died in 1996 two months prior to us paying...

Quiet Title Action [ 2 Answers ]

I have a customer applying for a Reverse Mortgage. He is married, his wife does not live in the homestead and she is not, and never been, on the title. She cannot be found. The property is in the state of Michigan. Can the borrower obtain a Quiet Title Action to clear his wife off the title under...

Do I need an attorney for a Quiet Title Action? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I purchased a condo a few years ago, which came with a parking space. The guy who owns the condo across from me bought his unit through a HUD foreclosure. At the time of his sale, the Public Trustee gave him MY parking space and I just want to get it back. Apparently, there were some title...

Filing a quiet title action [ 10 Answers ]

I am so tired of dealing with attorney's out of state, speficially in Florida and it has cost me $1000's I would like to know from someone if I can do a quiet title action, pro-se and what it would take. It isn't very involved because my father's wife has recently passed away and there are no other...

View more questions Search