Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    YngBloodPriest Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 11:53 AM
    I have a commercial lease and need to evict my roommate
    He isn't on the lease, he never paid a deposit and he agreed to move out by Feb 1st, back in November. Now, he's threatening to sue, despite the fact that he's a drug addict and alcoholic who is relapsing again. I found him passed out in his car earlier this week, and I keep finding empty bottles in his room. We share a space that's broken into two rooms and both live and work there. What can I do to get rid of him?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Have him served with an eviction notice by the sheriff's office, same as you would with a paying tenant.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Hello y:

Residential landlord tenant law doesn't cover you, therefore you can't use it to evict your roomie. If your commercial lease allows you to sublet, then it also should tell you how to STOP subletting. If it does, then do that.

If it doesn't, then you've violated your lease and I don't think there's any way you can get HIM out through the legal process without YOU being evicted too.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by YngBloodPriest
    He isn't on the lease, he never paid a deposit and he agreed to move out by Feb 1st, back in November. Now, he's threatening to sue, despite the fact that he's a drug addict and alcoholic who is relapsing again. I found him passed out in his car earlier this week, and I keep finding empty bottles in his room. We share a space that's broken into two rooms and both live and work there. What can I do to get rid of him?

It's a commercial lease - does it allow subletting? What does he intend to sue you for?
    YngBloodPriest Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 11:29 AM
    He thinks he can sue the landlord for illegally renting to him. The space was originally a live in, but became commercial at some point. He basically has decided to put a fight, because no one wants to rent to him. At this point, there's no covering up his drug abuse and he looks the part.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by YngBloodPriest
    He thinks he can sue the landlord for illegally renting to him. The space was originally a live in, but became commercial at some point. He basically has decided to put a fight, because no one wants to rent to him. At this point, there's no covering up his drug abuse and he looks the part.

HE is suing the landlord for illegally renting to HIM? Interesting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant on lease wants 'evict' his roommate . [ 2 Answers ]

We have a tenant that has a roommate (his brother) that is supposed to pay rent too. I understand the tenant is responsible for paying the rent since he is the one on the lease however he wants his bro to move out because he is not paying his share. We want the person on the lease to stay but...

How to evict a roommate with no lease and I'm the owner? [ 2 Answers ]

I need help. I let two of my girlfriends move into my house--neither one signed a lease or anything. I couldn't take all the people and partying all the time and asked them to leave after only 1 1/2 months. One of them is staying elsewhere but her stuff is still here, the other still comes and...

How do I evict my roommate? [ 1 Answers ]

My roommate is not on my lease. We have been living together for about 5 months and he had paid rent once and never has paid the utilities. I have been letting it go because he lost his job and I gave him time to find a new one. However he has not even been looking. I have tried to be nice because...

View more questions Search