Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akayeball Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Tenant letter to relinquish property
    Thank you to all who answered my question last week about entering the premesis when the tenant has apparently moved out. When we inspected the property, it turned out that she was very obviously not living there (no furniture or clothing), but had left some other personal property (including two live fish in a tank). We sent a three-day eviction notice by certified mail to what we are pretty sure is her new address. We really would rather not go to court, though, so we also included a letter that she could sign stating that she wanted to terminate our lease effective immediately and that she "relinquishes possession of any objects left in or on the premesis after [insert date]", and that "any such objects are considered to be trash, and may be disposed of at the landlords discretion." If she actually does sign and return this letter to us, can we get rid of her stuff? Would the letter "hold up" in court if she decided later that she wanted to sue us for destruction of property? Also, can I call the ASPCA about the fish?
    I know that I could just terminate the lease, with 30 days notice, and then store her belongings for 30 days, but we really need to get the place cleaned up and re-rented ASAP.
    Also, I hope I haven't broken any laws by suggesting that she terminate the lease herself rather than end up with a court date for eviction... I couldn't find anything about this in Ohio's Landlord/tenant Code.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2007, 08:27 AM
    You should be able to mutually agree, in writing, to the terms you've just specified. Regarding the fish, your best bet is to just keep them yourselves or give them to someone you know who has an aquarium.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant in foreclosed property [ 3 Answers ]

The house I am renting is in foreclosure. I had a lease agreement with the former owner that is still current. What are my rights as a tenant?

Tenant property destruction [ 1 Answers ]

If a tenant destroys the condition of their unit can they be asked to leave until repaired? If a tenant has drug activity going on can the be ordered off the property immediately?

WhaT does a Tenant do if his property is removed before eviction. [ 10 Answers ]

I previously lived in a state and had tenants that were employed and caused no problems moving in and out. I now live in an area of a state where none of my tenants are employed. They are all on some kind of government aid. It is not uncommon for tenants to borrow the money to move into my...

Removing Tenant From Property [ 1 Answers ]

If I want to remove a tenant that has not paid rent in 2 months and coming up on the third month of nonpayment. This is in the State Of Georgia, Gwinett County? Can I just give him a direct notice or letter from my attorney? What is the law, how so I quote that law? Where can I find the...

View more questions Search