Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twastew85 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2007, 06:52 AM
    House Title in husbands name, Florida
    Married 11 yrs. In Florida, how is the house "distributed" between us in a divorce?

He had the house 5 yrs before we were married. Only his name is on the title. Florida is "equitable distribution" state.

It is paid for, with exception of Home Equity Loan of $30K.

Do I have any rights to the house if divorce is imminent?
    I have been on a medical leave for a year, can not work. Any advice is appreciated.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 07:19 AM
    If it's equitable distribution, unless the divorce agreement you both negotiate says otherwise you've got 50% rights to the house, in his name or not, I believe.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 4, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Distribution of assets is often a negotiation. So you need to talk to your attorney to advise what would be equitable.

Dec 4, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Thanks, Charlotte and Scott for your quick response. I feel much better.
    Would I be able to recoop my inheritance monies that I paid for HIS bills, credit cards, Loan payments on the house. I have kept all check stubs. I don't want to take him to the cleaners, but I don't want him to put me on the street, either. I'm to old to start over. Once again, Thank You Very Much,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 4, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Again that's an issue of negotiation. If you can show how much of personal funds you invested thet can be taken off the top.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Hello t:

You only say the house was bought before you were married and that it's paid off. THAT isn't enough information.

If he owned the house OUTRIGHT before you were married, it's more than likely going to be his property after you divorce.

If, however, the house was paid off DURING the marriage, then you'll get a piece of it.

Nahhh. The divorce court is not going to mediate every bill and every payment each of you made on the others behalf.

excon

Dec 4, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Dear excon, he took out a home equity loan on the house for a business that went belly-up during our marriage. I have paid on this loan for years using my own inheritance + paycheck to bail him. Not a scholar, but I would guess that qualifies for something.--other than me being a dummy to do it.
    Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husbands name not on house [ 1 Answers ]

I am recently married and live in my husbands home and we are trying to sell my home. It has been on the market for over a year and we just have had no luck selling it. My husbands name is NOT on the loan so if I have to foreclose on it will that effect his credit?

Florida - Exboyfriend won't move out of my house [ 1 Answers ]

I own a house in Florida and temporarily left to work on a temporary contract in another state. The mortgage is in my name, and all mortgage payments were made by me without assistance by him since 2001. We have a daughter together who has always been under my care, without little financial...

Replumbing a house in Florida (built 1949)not on a slab [ 2 Answers ]

I own a house in Miami built in 1949. I know that the plumbing has not been redone (at least for the past 30 years). The house has 3 baths which seem to be working, however one bath has been backing up. I have a feeling it needs to be replumbed. Is there any one out there that can give me a rough...

Replumbing a Florida Slab house [ 3 Answers ]

Tom, When running new water lines in a single family, slab, Florida house, do you go through the attic? Or chop up all that concrete? If you go through the attic, do you insulate the cpvc to prevent condensation drips from leaking on your ceilings? Can you just strap the pipe over the...

1950's Florida slab house plumbing problems [ 9 Answers ]

We just bought our house in April. The plumbing has worked fine until recently. I'm trying to locate the main source of our problem and figure out how extensive it is. The shower and tub drains in the bathrooms have been backing up recently, leaving a brown gritty substance. The sink drain in the...

View more questions Search