Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Raverdj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 09:35 PM
    Got eviction notice, do I have to pay rent if I leave?
    My landlord failed to repair my sliding window, so I brought my mom's dog to my apt to hopefully safe-keep my belongings. The landlord has continued to fail to repair the problem and have since seen the dog. Now I have been given and eviction notice or get rid of the dog and pay $50 per day since being served the notice. If I choose to leave instead of getting rid of the dog, do I have to pay rent until the end of my lease?
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Nov 24, 2007, 06:08 AM
    If you fail to get rid of the dog, the landlord will proceed with eviction. Yes... you will be responsible for the remainder of the lease or until the landlord gets a new tenant. If you had a problem with the window, you should have followed proper procedures as outlined in your local landlord/tenants law... not get a dog.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 07:33 AM
    You may or may not have to pay rent until the end of your lease. When your landlord gave you the eviction notice, was it a "Notice Terminating Lease"? If so then the landlord has terminated your lease and you are not responsible for any rent after you move out.

If the notice did not say that the lease was terminated then you will be responsible for the rent after you move out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 24, 2007, 07:59 AM
    The issue is you were given a choice. You are not being summarily evicted. So if you choose to leave you are breaking the lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay rent or quit notice [ 7 Answers ]

Renting an apartment in Kansas... just received a "quit or pay" notice "within 3 days". Can't pay. How long do I have before being evicted? What are the next steps? Thanks!

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 4 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 2 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

Rent unpaid/eviction notice || Verbal agreement woes [ 7 Answers ]

A friend renting my house. We had a verbal agreement of $300.00a month. Yes, It was stupid not to get it in writing and I regret it fully. She moved in in November 2006, paying $1000 as a "security deposit" that was to cover fixing up the house's septic system. No payment was made until march,...

Virginia Notice to Pay or Quit/Eviction [ 1 Answers ]

I was served a notice to pay or quit last night. Can the landlord evict me on the 5th day or does he have to get a court ordered eviction notice? I reside in Norfolk, VA.

View more questions Search