Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brwnbrothadc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 01:45 PM
    Landlord Wants Tenant To Pay for Repair After Break-In
    My apartment was recently burglarized, The culprit broke my door where the lock meets. Now my door does not lock. I filed a police report; however, my landlord says that I have to pay to have the door lock repaired. This is in Washington DC, and I have a valid one-year lease. Nothing on the lease referred to this -but I would think it would be the owner's responsibility. He says "No, because it was an isolated incident". (Aren't all burglaries isolated incidents):mad:
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 01:47 PM
    I would replace it if I were you, for safety. And then take the landlord to court for it. Otherwise this person WILL refuse to pay it. Better yet, contact the property management team.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 4 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

Landlord wants to break tenant lease [ 5 Answers ]

I need to move back into a condo that I have leased. The lease expires in September 2007. I can not wait that long to make my move. Can I legally break that lease?

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 2 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

Landlord allowing one tenant to break a verbal agreement but not other tenants [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal for a landlord to have a verbal agreement with all tenants in a two family house and break the contract for some of the tenants and not others? In the two family house that I live in (where I have no written lease, only a verbal agreement that we will pay the rent on the first of each...

Repair for tenant who hasn't paid us [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: My husband and I rent a unit to a person who stops paying us two months ago. Since we live in West coast and the property we own is in New York, it takes us long time to evict her, but finally it is in process of eviction with our friend's help. (We gave our friend our power of attorney...

View more questions Search