Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rajuchalraju Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 11:13 AM
    How to Convert a single family house to a legal 4 family house
    Hi all

I am looking to convert my singly family home to a legal 4 family house so as to rent out all 4 units and get some income. How to do I go about getting all the information and permission for the same?

Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 11:23 AM
    First do you mean to rent 4 bedrooms out to different people, or is the house so large you have 4 bath rooms, 4 kitchens and will divide the home into 4 separate apartments.

In either case you will have to check the zoning on the property, most likely it is not listed as multi family or rooming house. If you are going to rent out separate bedrooms, there are specific laws your city will most likely have, as for fire control, esp parking, room for a number of parking spaces in some areas and more.

Next you will have to make sure your insurance carrier will cover the multi use of the house. Also learn eviction laws, and laws of collecting utilities, since they will all share electric and water unless you put in new utilities to home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Family member won't move out of my house [ 5 Answers ]

Here is my dilemma. My mother, aged 83, came to stay with me last February and has decided she doesn't want to move out. We have no written rental agreement. She has contributed somewhat to expenses (mostly utility bills, but some $ has been given). She is more or less destitute and I felt badly...

Family House Guest From Hell! [ 7 Answers ]

-I am writing in to get some feedback from a professional on the following: My mother has allowed my youngest sister who is 22 years of age to move back into her home since about 1 month ago. My mother allowed her stay with the understanding that she would gain employment and then locate another...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Asking family member to move out of my house [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I live in the Bay Area, California and need to get my wife's over 18 year old son out of my house. He has never paid rent or helped out with anything. I need to sell the home and thus he needs to leave. He cannot go where I am moving to. Since he is a Lodger? can't I just tell him to...

2 family house [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend is currently renting 1/2 of a two family house. The hot water heater meter and the eletric and gas meter are shared between the two tenants. Is this legal? He is 1 person who works a 12 hour job 6 days a week and the people in the back of the house are 2 people who don't work at all...

View more questions Search