Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mimieleanne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Prorated rent
    We gave notice to our landlady 30 days prior to moving, ( 1st of the month) our lease states that we give a 20 day notice. The following day she put up a for rent sign in our window, and placed an ad in the paper. By the 15th of the month while we were trying to clean and still move our stuff she had painters come in and paint. She was very presistant in getting us out of the house, she had other people that wanted to rent the house. We were exteremly frustated, and decided to get everything out of the house so she could come in and do her thing. Cutting short the cleaning that we planned on doing to the house before we moved. We did a walk through with her and she said she would prorate our rent from the 19th of the month. We called her on the 21st to get our rent back. She proceeded to tell us how bad the condition of the house was and now is not going to give us our rent back for the 12 days she owes cause she can not rent it out, because she has to clean it. Is this not what the deposit is for ? And do I have a right to my prorated rent?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 21, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Normally there is no "right" to prorated rent, since she told you after the walk though that she would, now you have a verbal agreement that she would. So at this point she does owe it, Iwill assume you got a paper signed off that the apartment was OK at the walk though to show it was not dirty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prorated rent [ 1 Answers ]

I need to prorate a lease that starts tomorrow. The monthly amount is 1200. Please tell me this formula? Thank you, Rita

Prorated Rent [ 2 Answers ]

I am leasing a 2 bedroom condo with another girl, on a month to month least agreement. There is no stipulation in the lease agreement stating that we have to give a 30 day notice on the 1st of a month. We gave our 30 day notice on the 9th of August, that we will be out by the 9th of September. ...

Prorated rent [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to prorate rent for tenants moving in on the 11th of this month.:)

Prorated Rent [ 2 Answers ]

If I move out in a month that has 31 days (July) doesn't the Landlord have to figure my daily rental amount on 31 days? He told me that proprated rent is always figured on 30 days regardless of how many days are in the month. Thanks,

Prorated rent [ 2 Answers ]

We are on a month to month lease in California. My husband received orders from the military to move on July 20, so we gave notice on June 19. I paid rent for the 20 days we would be living here in July and our landlord went ballistic, insisting that we pay him the full months rent because we're...

View more questions Search