Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    halodude Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Tenant on lease wants 'evict' his roommate .
    We have a tenant that has a roommate (his brother) that is supposed to pay rent too. I understand the tenant is responsible for paying the rent since he is the one on the lease however he wants his bro to move out because he is not paying his share. We want the person on the lease to stay but what can he do to get his brother out? As a landlord is there anything we can do, since our agreement is with the lessee and not with his brother? Or is it the lessee who has to 'evict' his bro? Many thanks in advance.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Is the brother there with your permission (is he listed on the lease as a resident)? Did he come as a visitor and now he's milking it for all it's worth, what's the situation?

Has he been asked to leave and is not doing so? Or are you just trying to head off problems?

The first course of action would be to present him with a written request to move out, giving him a reasonable amount of time to do so. It would kind of depend on the arrangement as to who the letter should come from. Beyond that the specifics of how he got there and what has transpired so far would dictate what needs to come from whom.

Karla in TX
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 8, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Unless the brother is listed on the lease, then you have no part in this. Tell your tenant that HE needs to evict his brother who is HIS tenant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to evict a tenant without a lease [ 2 Answers ]

In Illinois, how do I legally evict my tenant that does not have a lease for non payment of rent?

Terminating lease as a co-tenant - roommate is staying in the apt. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My roommate and I signed a one-year lease that was scheduled to end May 31, 2007. Our lease stated that if we didn't give 30 days notice, the lease would automatically go month to month. Unfortunately, our relationship deteriorated due to lots of issues... her boyfriend basically moved in...

I need to evict my roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I own a 2 family house in Massachusetts and I live in the first floor unit with a new roommate. I didn't know him prior to him moving in. He moved in on April 1st and gave me the $500 rent money before I gave him the keys. Yesterday when I asked him for the rent money for May he told me that his...

How to evict a roommate with no lease and I'm the owner? [ 2 Answers ]

I need help. I let two of my girlfriends move into my house--neither one signed a lease or anything. I couldn't take all the people and partying all the time and asked them to leave after only 1 1/2 months. One of them is staying elsewhere but her stuff is still here, the other still comes and...

How do I evict my roommate? [ 1 Answers ]

My roommate is not on my lease. We have been living together for about 5 months and he had paid rent once and never has paid the utilities. I have been letting it go because he lost his job and I gave him time to find a new one. However he has not even been looking. I have tried to be nice because...

View more questions Search