Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    windfeather Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 11:41 PM
    Asking family member to move out of my house
    Hello,
    I live in the Bay Area, California and need to get my wife's over 18 year old son out of my house. He has never paid rent or helped out with anything. I need to sell the home and thus he needs to leave. He cannot go where I am moving to. Since he is a Lodger? can't I just tell him to leave? I do plan on giving him something towards an apartment so I'm not really kicking him out on his ear. If he doesn't leave within a couple of weeks, what can I do? :confused: Please advise.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2007, 12:23 AM
    I would tell him about the situation if you haven't already. If you have already told him about the situation, then I don't really know what the problem is and why you think that you have to tell him to leave. It does sound like he is kind of a mooch by not contributing anything, but, if he is a reasonable person, he should know that he needs to go, and, make the decision on his own based upon what you have told him, if you have indeed informed him about what is going on.

If you have already informed him about the situation of your needing to sell the house, then it would help to know what is really the problem with him. Is he refusing to leave?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2007, 05:31 AM
    Hello wind:

Not knowing a whole lot about your situation, I'll bet your problem is going to be with your wife, not your son. Kicking him out, ought to be HER job.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 21, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Maybe I'm missing something here. But you put the house up for sale. He's going to know you are doing this. I gather you already have a new place so you make him aware there is no room for him.

You (or better yet, your wife) go with him on apartment hunting trips. Explaining you will help him get started.

What's the problem? Do you think he will refuse to leave the house once its sold?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2007, 10:19 AM
    So, what's truly the problem here, windfeather? Please share with us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

? About getting a family member to move [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My husband and I live in a single family home that is owned by his mother. She lives in an inlaw apartment over the garage. We pay her rent to live here. My husbands sister lives in the basement which is finished off and is supposed to be paying rent. Since my husband's father passed away...

How to evict a family member [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, Help! I own my mother's house. Brother moved in after a divorce. He keeps promising to pay rent and doesn't. No written lease. I want to evict him/kick him out! What is the legal procedure? Thanks for your time.

Family Member Won't Move Out [ 3 Answers ]

My aunt owns her home. While she is not currently living there, she is helping her nephew out by letting him stay until he gets on his feet. There is no legal agreement (paperwork)... it was a verbal understanding, and when he moved in it was under the understanding that it was NOT permanent, and...

Family member moved out [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am not sure how to proceed with my current dilemma. My uncle and his daughter moved out and got an apartment, but left belongings behind. He refused to give the house keys back until he said he got his belongings. He refuses to forward his mail, and I took it upon myself to move his and his...

Evict family member. [ 2 Answers ]

Can you direct me in how to evict an addicted family member from my apartment. I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Thank you

View more questions Search