Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stacyandmarknc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 05:52 PM
    What happens to the house in Divorce in NC?
    My best friend just got separated and moved out. His wife is still living in the house. He is not sure if she wants to stay there or not as of yet, but wants to know what the options are. If she wants to stay in the house although she cannot afford it alone will my friend have to continue to pay part of the mortgage as he is doing for the moment for as long as she wants to stay there? What are the laws here in North Carolina? Can she be forced to sell since she cannot afford it on her own?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 06:03 PM
    It is all up to the divorce court. Each party can ask for it, they can ask for it to be sold. The real problem is when both names are on the mortgage, since even if the divorce court orders one party to pay for it if they don't, if both names are on the mortgage, it will hurt both credits.

You will need to discuss with your divorce attorney what YOU want to do with it, and ask for that
    stacyandmarknc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Both names are on the mortgage. He does not want the house, he wants to sell it, pay off her car and split the rest. If she decides that she wants to stay there until the divorce is final or just because she feels like it, can she? Right now since he makes more than she does he is paying 2/3 of the mortgage and she is paying the other 1/3. This is the temporary verbal agreement they came to. Can he be forced to continue this indefinitely or will she be forced to sell since there is no way she can afford it on her own?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 20, 2007, 06:48 PM
    This is an issue of negotiation not law. The divorcing parties have to agree. A judege might force a settlement if they can't but it will be based on the negotitations. So no one can say for sure what will happen.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 06:57 PM
    So can they order him to do it, yes they can, will they, most likely not, but in divorce court, it is who has the best attorney and who will settle first.

Unless both parties agree, they can not sell the house, unless the court orders it to be sold

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could ghosts jump from house to house? [ 20 Answers ]

Hello, I am looking to purchase a lot and build a new house. I "googled" the name of the road where the lot is to and 10 web links came up for that road being one of the most haunted places in CT. It reads that there is a "white lady" that is in one of the houses on the road. She is not a mean...

Divorce with kids, what happens to the house? [ 2 Answers ]

So my friend is getting divorced and takes care of the two kids, almost all the time she is currently living in the house, per a temporary relief order (he is abusive.) Anyway, when the divorce gets going and it is time to split things what happens with the house? I told her that she should...

Chapter 13, divorce and the house [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings! Here's my situation. I am 1 month away from divorce trial. I have been in Chapter 13 bankruptcy and made all my payments for the last 16 months. My duration is 42 months. My wife is the co-petitioner on the Ch 13. We were exempted $40,000 on the equity of our home. The current...

Keeping the House after Divorce [ 9 Answers ]

I would like 2 know how I can keep my house without having 2 buy my husband out.He is very verbally abusive 2 my girls and myself.Is their any organizations that could help me keep my home and afford to make the payment on my own?

View more questions Search