Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dennis3434 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 09:05 PM
    Vacation Rental Issue
    My family and I have been renting a condo in Florida for the last 5 yrs. This last summer, we went down with some friends of the family who rented a unit below ours(my inlaws stay in the unit next to ours). This is a mixed property with renters/owners at the same time, and is run by a property management company. Well, one night, the friends below us(who brought 3- 18 yr old girls) were called for noise because their daughters were at the pool too late. This apparently upset one of the owners of a nearby unit. Nothing was said at the time to us, but when we called to see if we could get the same unit this year, we were told that they had a meeting of homeowners, and we were not allowed to come back due to a vote of homeowners. This seems harsh and illegal to me. Is this right? Can someone really do that? How am I subject to their homeowners association, I don't live there?? :mad:
    derobert Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Oct 31, 2007, 10:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis3434
    My family and I have been renting a condo in Florida for the last 5 yrs. This last summer, we went down with some friends of the family who rented a unit below ours(my inlaws stay in the unit next to ours). This is a mixed property with renters/owners at the same time, and is run by a property management company. Well, one night, the friends below us(who brought 3- 18 yr old girls) were called for noise because their daughters were at teh pool too late. This apparently upset one of the owners of a nearby unit. Nothing was said at the time to us, but when we called to see if we could get the same unit this year, we were told that they had a meeting of homeowners, and we were not allowed to come back due to a vote of homeowners. This seems harsh and illegal to me. Is this right? Can someone really do that? How am I subject to their homeowners association, I dont live there??? :mad:
    Sounds like you called up the owner's association (do they own the property?) and asked to rent it. They said no. This isn't you being subject to the association, this is the association using its control of the property.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2007, 05:28 AM
    Hello d:

You are not entitled to the rental. Why would you think it's illegal for them to say no??

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 1, 2007, 06:31 AM
    YOU aren't subject to the homeowner's association, but the owner you rent from is. And yes there is nothing illegal or unethical about this. Now I agree that it is harsh, since it wasn't you but friends of yours that caused the problem. So I would contact them again. Apologize for the lack of judgement on your friend's part. Tell them you will not be traveling with them in the future. Point out that you have rented from them for 5 years without any problem and ask they they reconsider.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vacation Rental Law [ 5 Answers ]

I own a single family resident in a residential area. I use this home as a vacation rental unit. In other words, I rent it to people who want to stay 1 night or 1 week or 1 month. The neighbors don't like it and have reported me to the city. Code Violations department slapped me with a fine for...

Security deposit refund for vacation rental - CA [ 1 Answers ]

We rented a vacation house for 1 week through a management company in Santa Barbara. We told them beforehand that we are planning to have a family gathering of about 15 people there for Memorial Day weekend and the management company said that it was fine. We had to give them a security deposit...

Vacation Rental in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

We have a lakehouse that we are beginning to set up as a vacation rental in Texas (i.e. weekend, weekly, monthly type rentals). I haven't been able to find anything online regarding Security Deposits in Texas... i.e. what can/can't be deducted, when it needs to be returned, etc. Anyone have...

Frustrated... need help with mold issue in a rental... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... it seems that my landlord takes me a just another stupid tenant. I reported to his office (he's a big-time realtor) that I feel there is mold in the mobile home that I am renting.They called me back and told me that 'he', the realtor (and name of the company), was coming by 'himself' to do...

View more questions Search