Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmamas1972 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2011, 09:34 AM
    What if there is no lease, can landlord file for eviction in Texas?
    What if there is no lease, can my landlord evict me cause she can no longer work with me with rent? I am way behind
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 1, 2011, 10:14 AM

Hello k:

In the absence of a written lease, you are a month to month tenant... She really doesn't have to evict you.. She just has to give you a 30 notice to vacate. If you don't leave, then she can evict you.

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 1, 2011, 10:15 AM

This is from RentLaw.com and you can access the whole website on Google by entering 'eviction notice with no lease'. These rules vary from state to state but basically the same.

No lease: When a tenant rents month to month without a lease, a landlord needs only to give written notice (usually 30-45 days) to terminate the lease. If the tenant does not leave at the end of that time, the landlord can evict.

Are you expecting a free ride or what, of course she can evict if you, as you say, are way behind in rent, I don't know why she has waited. She can take you to small claims court to recoup her loss.

Tick
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 1, 2011, 11:32 AM

ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

However, your previous responses are correct. You are considered a periodic tenant and therefore the landlord can end your tenancy as long as they give proper notice. That notice can vary depending on your location.

Your question is kind of hard to fathom. I'm wondering why you would even think ANY landlord cannot get rid of a tenant who is not paying. Being a landlord is a business. If the business is not generating revenue its really hard to survive. What would you do if someone was using your property without paying for it. If you are "way behind" your landlord has been very generous and you have been abusing that generosity.

But to be precise a landlord cannot evict anyone. Evictions occur as a result of a court order. So the process goes like that, first the LL gives you a notice to vacate. That notice can give you as few as 3 days if you are in breach of the lease (non-payment is a breach and it doesn't matter if the lease is written, verbal or implied). If you have not vacated (or repaired the breach) within the time limit, then the LL files for an eviction order. After a court hearing the order is granted and if you still don't leave, the LL can have you physically removed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2011, 02:52 PM

I note that you are behind on your rent, so instead of the 30 day notice they merely have to give a much shorter pay or quit notice where you have to pay or they can start eviction much sooner.

They can evict if you are not paying rent with or without a lease

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Texas- Landlord changed rental rate in the middle of the lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have lived at Pine Knoll apartment complex in Longview Texas for 2 years. I signed a new, year long, lease agreement in June. Today, Sept. 14, I come home to a notice on my door stating that they are raising my rent by $40 a month. There are no hidden facts here. I am current and have always...

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Texas Eviction [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I am behind on my rent. My landlord has given me 7 days to vacate. What legal procedures does he have to do? I have received no written communication, only verbal. He called and said to vacate tomorrow Tuesday 05/15/2007. Can he do this and what options do I have?

View more questions Search