Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maggiem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Breaking a Contract
    We put our home on sell back in August of last year. A man was interested in buying it and by the 20th of Jan. we were told he was buying it and everything was done. When I say 'everything was done'... a contract was done stating we needed to move out by the 1st of Febraury 2007. So we got into an apartment a little before the 1st of Feb. and we paid $260.00 in order to get into an apartment. We have just paid the first rent last week, which was $967.00. We were told we did not have to pay the home mortgage even it's under our names still because the 'new guy' was going to do so. Sales Manager just called my husband yesterday to let him know the 'new guy' had lost his job and now we have to pay for the mortgage 'until' they find someone else to buy the house, but we don't have time for that! What if they don't. We're stuck paying the apartment rent and house payment meanwhile and that's too much money. Well, the last day to pay the mortgage is this Thrusday, the 15th of Feb. and we feel that it isn't fair for us to get kicked out 'practically' due to the contract and pay the rent for an apartment and then still pay the mortgage, which is $1,620.00. They 'NEVER' ever told us what the status was on the process even though we were calling so many times to find out, and they still couldn't give us any answers and/or they would never return our phone calls. What can we do? I don't think it's fair for us and it's not our fault that we left our home, we just paid attention to a contract and now they're breaking it! Can they do that? We're just so confused and stressed out! Please help! Should I get an attorney for this?:confused:
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Yes get an attorney now, it depend on what is in that contract which you need to read now on what you can do. It sounds like a breach of contract.

Call attorney now!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2007, 07:54 AM
    When a contract for sale is entered into a deposit is put down and placed into escrow. If the buyer defaults on the contract that deposit is paid to you. That deposit can then be used to offset any expenses you have.

What I would do is sublet the apt and move back into the house. In the future, you do NOT move until a closing is scheduled. I would also find a new realtor who will give you better advice.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maggiem
    Should I get an attorney for this?:confused:
    Hello maggie:

YES, you absolutely should get an attorney!

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a leasing contract for an apartment in Texas to purchanse a new house [ 4 Answers ]

Do I have any other way to get out if I breach a contract agreement with the apartment, because I want to buy a new home, and the new home is a really good offer not to miss out? Could you let me know. Thanks

Breaking up who gets what [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are splitting up after 9 years we have a two year old son he bought a house for us right after he was born. We agreed I will take custody of connor but do I have any legal right to take the house from him because it's only in his name. I just feel that since he's the one who...

Breaking Up... [ 10 Answers ]

What's the best way to get over a break-up? And if you're really in love with that person, do you think it's worth it to give in patience and wait, and hope for that person to come back to you one day?

After breaking up [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, everybody.. Thank you for reading this. I am 24 years old and I broke up with my ex-boyfriend a month ago. He began to say he was really busy and could not think of any... Afterthat, he told he needed "space" to concentrate on his work. I made dicision to break up with him to respect...

Breaking up [ 6 Answers ]

I have just broken up with my girlfriend. We had only been dating for two months but I already had started to develop some feelings for her. She said there was no spark in the relationship. OK, I appreciate her honesty and I will give her the space she wants. However, my last relationship broke...

View more questions Search