Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    mrpete38118's Avatar
    mrpete38118 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Sep 12, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Parents died.can't find deed
    Both my parents died and I need to know how to find the deed to their house. They paid it off SEVERAL years ago and we (my brothers & I) need to sell it.
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,505, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

    Sep 12, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpete38118
    Both my parents died and I need to know how to find the deed to their house. They paid it off SEVERAL years ago and we (my brothers & I) need to sell it.

    You can find a copy of the Deed at the County Clerk's Office.

    If you are looking for proof that the Mortgage was paid off (if that's what you are asking), the Satisfaction of Mortgage will also be on file.
    LisaB4657's Avatar
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534

    Sep 12, 2008, 01:37 PM
    My condolences on your loss.

    If their property is in the US then you don't need their deed in order to sell the house. A copy of the deed is recorded in the county clerk or county register's office. When you find a buyer they will perform a title search and that will show the deed.

    If you want a copy for yourself then you can go to the county recording office and get a copy. It shouldn't cost anything other than a small fee to cover their cost for copying.
    twinkiedooter's Avatar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

    Sep 12, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Lisa and Judy are both correct. You don't have to have the original deed in your hand to sell any property so long as it was properly recorded at the Recorder's Office at the County. That's one good thing about deeds, they are copied and recorded so if you somehow lose the original say in a flood or fire, you can always get another copy. The same goes with anytime a mortgage is paid off that is recorded at the Recorder's Office just in case you lose that paperwork. The title company is paid to look into these matters. The reason they are recorded at the County is to prevent fraudulent sales of land. The recording of deeds and mortgages goes way, way back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to find out how someone died [ 1 Answers ]

I recently found out an old friend of mine passed away last year but I can't find anything online about his death without having to pay, I don't have a credit card or anything so I can't use a paysite. I really want to know what happened to him, and I can't find any of his friends or family to help...

What do I pay in taxes on land sold that was given to me after both parents died? [ 5 Answers ]

Both parents are deceased. Property was left to the four of us Mom died 9 years ago. We just sold last year. What taxes do I pay?

How to remove someone who has died from the Title/Deed [ 3 Answers ]

Well my question in specific is how to remove someone who has died from the Title/Deed, never paid anything towards the house, has heirs, and now just because his father put him on the title in 1979 to be able to have another income to get the loan, now my mother in law is about to lose the house....

The day my parents died [ 5 Answers ]

I need to find a country song title about 7 to 10 years ago I think,it about a little girl whose father kills her mother and himself but she hides behind the couch and she`s in church and "that man on the cross came down and held my hand the day my parents died:)

Deleting name of recently died spouse on house deed [ 1 Answers ]

My husband recently paased away after a about with cancer. I was told to have his name removed from our house deed, which we jointly owned. Was just wondering how to go about this, like who to contact or go to for this process. Thanks for your help and god bless.

View more questions Search