Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !

    PA Tenant Heating Law

    Asked Jan 3, 2008, 05:56 AM 2 Answers
    What exactly is Pennsylvania law regarding a landlord's requirement to provide "adequate" heat to a tenant? The heating unit in our 1 bedroom apartment works, as does approximately 4 feet of the baseboard radiator in the main room. There is no heat in the bedroom, bathroom, or kitchen-nook. At this point we can set the heat at 80 degrees and close the bedroom/bathroom doors to maintain 68 degrees in the main room (required temperature to maintain 68 is climbing by about 2 degrees/day), mostly because there is heat radiating from the basement (where the heating units are) in to our first floor apartment. Of course we've plastic-sealed all the widows. Our maintenance guy says that our landlord can not afford to replace the heating system because it would require gutting the entire complex, and nothing can be done to repair it.

    Last edited by camicat; Jan 3, 2008 at 06:03 AM.
    Search this Question
    Share |
    2 Answers
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,972, Reputation: 6055
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jan 3, 2008, 07:07 AM

    I doubt if this is part of landlord/tenant law. Such rules are generally established by local housing agencies. So I would contact the local govt for the agenciy that makes and enforces those rules.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2991
    Uber Member

    Jan 3, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by camicat
    What exactly is Pennsylvania law regarding a landlord's requirement to provide "adequate" heat to a tenant?
    Hello cam:

    You use the word "adequate", and the law uses the word "un-inhabitable".

    If it is LEGALLY un-inhabitable, then landlord/tenant law applies. Otherwise, as Scott said, it would be your local government.

    I don't know how a judge would rule on 68 degrees being un-inhabitable. My sense is, while 68 is frigid, it's livable. But, I ain't no judge, and I've been wrong before. Maybe you'll get a judge who really, really likes to be warm. Or not. I don't know.

    If you wish to bring this to a head, you'll have to move into a nice warm hotel room, and begin your process. If that's too radical for you, maybe you should stick with your local remedies. After all, "un-inhabitable" means exactly that. You certainly couldn't complain that it was un-inhabitable while you were habitating there.


Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier heating unit --fan won't work with heating [ 6 Answers ]

I have a carrier heating unit installed in 2000... it worked fine since then but now... fan will work if we turn it ON by itself... but if we turn on auto heat then heater goes on (blower like sound) but fan doesn't force the air into the house... if we turn off the heat... fan comes on...

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Tenant pays half of heating bill [ 2 Answers ]

My tenant paid half of the rent and we split the heating bill . Now we ran out of oil and they want me to pay for all of the oil even though they chose to pay half of the heat and they signed the lease stating they understood they were responsible to pay half of the heat. If anyone knows what I...

View more questions Search